French drain vs. interior waterproof system

Old 04-07-05, 05:25 PM
bazinj
Visiting Guest
French drain vs. interior waterproof system

Does anyone have a preference between a french drain that runs along the outside of the foundation versus more expensive interior drainage systems that are installed inside a basement?

I have 3 foot high dirt crawlspace with standing water. I have a couple estimates from waterproofing contractors who sell systems that are installed on the interior foundation walls. The systems are similar to french drains and include sump pumps,etc. The systems are expensive $100 per linear foot. The only entrance to the crawl space is in a closet in a bedroom and it is difficult to work in there.

I am wondering if it would be easier and less expensive to install a french drain around the exterior of the foundation walls. Does anyone have experience with this and knwo which method is more effective?

Part 2

Cement surronds half of the exterior foundation walls (driveway, patio.etc.).
I believe that I may only need to install a drainage system around the other half where soil comes up to the top of the foundation. One contractor said that a drainage system must surround the entire house and the other said that you only need it where water is coming in. Anyone with experience about this issue?

Thanks

JB

Old 04-07-05, 05:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

I am wondering if it would be easier and less expensive to install a french drain around the exterior of the foundation walls. Does anyone have experience with this and knwo which method is more effective?
For sure do it on the out side with the drain.Get the water
away from the home. Why let it get in then pay to pump it out. How are all the grades around the home. How are the gutters and down spouts.
My .02 cents

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: