Wet yard from contractor's "french drain"

Old 04-08-05, 08:30 PM
maryannkacz
Visiting Guest
Wet yard from contractor's "french drain"

Had an addition put on house. Contractor ran french drain and ended in back yard in middle of yard on right side of yard. Now we have standing water all the time. You can see water coming out where it ends. We finally got him to come back and look at it. He said he should have gone all the way back with pipe, but I guess its our problem now. We plan to attach solid 4 inch drain pipe to existing pipe (he used solid also). Problem is we don't think end of pipe we will install will (see daylight) if we keep proper slope. End of property has a small creek. What will happen if we end pipe underground, are we
creating another problem? This is already wet when the small creek is running, some years it is dry, but not recently. Yard does have some slope toward back. I don't see any other choice. Would rather have problem at back of yard. My daughter can't use her $700.00 wooden play set because the water is sitting all in this area. Dogs are muddy. We did have a wet spring and summer last year, so I decided to wait and see. But it is obviously from existing drain if we can actually see water seeping out through the ground? Would some type of drywell at end of pipe do any good ? Any input would be appreciated.

Old 04-09-05, 04:37 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
French drain systems won't work unless they're allowed to drain out SOMEWHERE....unless there's some new law of physics I haven't heard of ...not that I'm a Law-Of-Physics-Doctor...

Old 04-09-05, 09:44 AM
maryannkacz
Visiting Guest
French drain outlet

I guess our only choice is to extend the pipe and do the same thing the contractor did, end it in the ground. And hope that the slope of the ground will direct water into small creek. Water can't run uphill, right? Law of physics. It is already wet back there because it is lowest point. I don't know where the contractor thought the water would go. Water doesn't drain very well on flat ground. I don't think he really cared, as long as it was away from house.

Old 04-09-05, 11:09 AM
E
The "french" part of the drain would allow water in saturated ground to enter through the little holes in the bottom of the pipe. But then that water has to be allowed to drain out through the solid wall pipe...running down to a lower elevation. The pipe should run out of the ground at some point.

Old 04-09-05, 12:42 PM
You have to look at this one of 2 ways. If your yard is wet, your foundation/basement is not or your foundation/basement is wet and your yard is dry. Not all situations with drainage can be a win/win situation. You need to judge which is the lesser of the 2 evils and go from there.

Old 04-10-05, 07:27 AM
French Drain Problem

First of all to set the record straight, water will run up hill. there are many parts of the US where water runs uphill. but so much for that. Here is my 2 cents worth. Look at this logically. Water is away from your house. Water is now in your back yard, You need to get the water to your creek. I would install a sump pump in your yard, and pump the water out of the sump into the creek. A simple plan, inexpensive, and solves the problem. You really do not have alot of water in volume, it just appears that you do. Your soil is soaked so the water has to surface. With a sump, the water will run into the sump sump bucket and get pumped out. Good Luck

Old 04-10-05, 09:37 AM
maryannkacz
Visiting Guest
Would this work better for drainage?

Here is another thought we had for this problem without using a sump pump.
Our yard slopes from left to right. Wet area is on right side of yard. Could we attach solid pipe to existing pipe, make a gradual left turn to higher part of yard then a right turn back to creek? Pipe would see daylight if we did this. Bank is higher on this side. We thought about using solid pipe all the way, eliminating need for gravel or sock. Or should we use solid for 1st section and perforated with sock for rest? I wouldn't see why we would need perforated if all the water is coming from existing drain pipe. There would be 2 elbows, as long as we maintain slope of pipe, it should work, right?

Old 04-10-05, 02:58 PM
Drainage

Yes, that would probably work. Good Luck

Old 04-17-05, 07:03 PM
maryannkacz
Visiting Guest
Dry creek bed

See previous posts on problem. Would a dry creek bed work in this situation?
Running pipe underground to dry creek bed which would drain to small creek.

Old 04-18-05, 03:28 PM
E
Just be carefull on whatever you do. Everyone's attempting to give you good advice in different ways in order to make "this thing" work, given your current limitations of grade, point-of-entry, and the need to "do something" to correct what the so-called contractor should have thought out to begin with.

I'd suggest stepping back a bit, and locating one or two guys who specialize in correcting drainage problems/installinmg drainage systems in your area. Then ask them to explain to you how what they recommend is going to work. One can help, to an extent, on websites like this...but sometimes it just takes someone who knows what they're doing, to stand on your property, walk it over, and really figure it out. If you do this, you should expect a logical description from them which you could understand and have faith in. Just a thot.........

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: