leaking flashing around chimney

Old 04-10-05, 06:45 PM
tcreeger
Visiting Guest
Angry leaking flashing around chimney

I have copper step flashing around chimney on front of my house although the roof was replaced last year the contractor did bad job resealing and i have noticed slight leaking.The first quote is 600$.does this sound too high or can you recomend a contractor or fix.

Old 04-11-05, 04:39 AM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$600 for "resealing" what? It's a matter of what specifically needs to be done.

I imagine that the flashings are not installed correctly, otherwise I see no reason it should leak. If that's the case, the "resealing" means reworking, tearing out that area and putting it back together in the correct fashion. I would be concerned with that being done more than any specific dollar amount.

I would concentrate on making sure you have a roofer competent in REPAIRS and permanently fixing leaks. Most "roofers" are not.

Old 04-11-05, 09:57 AM
A
$600 does not sound too high. I live in St Louis and had a similar quote for $800. If you are in the South, your bid might be less than mine.

I made the same mistake--the roofer did not mention that the flashing needed to be replaced and I did not think to ask. If I ever put another roof on, I will make sure everything gets done at the same time. (When you got your roof replaced, you might have gotten some bids that seemed quite high in comparison--maybe they included reflashing.)

Old 04-11-05, 10:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

You said copper$$$$$ most of the cost is for the copper than the labor. You say reseal the flashing. That I dont get. It should have all been taken off the chimney and reflashed as the new shingles where put on. With new step shingles,a cricket and counter flashing.I dont see why they didnt use the old step shingles of copper and new counter flashing there.

ED

Old 04-11-05, 05:49 PM
E
I think because it's so common for roofers to reuse the old flashings, many homeowners don't think anything of it when it's done.
But, if one is guaranteeing a roof installation, how can one blame a leak on OLD or ORIGINAL flashing work? Isn't that a part of the roof system? Yet I've heard from numerous customers over the years that the roofer said "Oh, that leaked because of the other guys {previous} flashing work."

Homeowners learn the hard way. I've learned plenty of hard lessons myself from other stuff I've had done around the house, or on my vehicles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: