Wet spots on the ceiling

Old 04-11-05, 09:49 AM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wet spots on the ceiling

I have two small areas in my dining room/living room where there appear to be water spots on the ceiling. Very small areas right where the wall meets the ceiling. These spots are appearing on the interior walls and are in the exact spot where there is a chimney stack on the roof. The roof was replaced last year, so I am thinking may have a flashing problem? I noticed the first spot in January after a snow. I noticed the second spot just yesterday and we've had no rain for at least 5 days. Any ideas where the water can be coming from?

PS: I am not planning on trying to fix this myself. I am only asking so I can have an informed discussion with whomever I hire to do the job.

Old 04-11-05, 10:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Have you tried looking for the leak up in the attic first. That should give you some idea what to talk about

I noticed the second spot just yesterday and we've had no rain for at least 5 days.
You dont have an AC unit in the attic do you? Are water pipes?

ED

Old 04-11-05, 10:12 AM
A
AC Unit is in the basement. No water pipes up there.

Old 04-11-05, 05:56 PM
E
I'd check out any flashings on the roof above the area you're seeing the spots occur. It's no exageration that 90% of all roof leaks I've run across on pitched roofs are flashing-related.

And the fact you recently had your roof redone is, unfortunately, a good clue. Your chimney stack may not be tied-in correctly with the roofing,

or

it might be as simple as the pipe jack{flashing} being "open" where it wraps around the pipe {something that doesn't usually cause great leaking, just "spotting}

Old 04-11-05, 07:11 PM
If you have a flue pipe (large triple walled metal pipe) as a chimney stack, That is the first thing to check...., check the "storm collar" its a metal ring that is around the base of the pipe that covers where the flue pipe comes up through the boot or flashing.
This should be pushed all the way down on top of the boot and sealed to the pipe (its a snug fit so you have to kind of walk it down with both hands)

They NEVER get put on correctly by the chimney and plumbing guys. I can' t count how many I have seen sealed (if your lucky), to the pipe 6" or more above the joint they are supposed to be covering.

Job Security! Countless "Minimum Service Call" charges have been paid for this 30 second repair.

Its worth checking out.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: