Gutter downspout question

Old 04-12-05, 05:10 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gutter downspout question

I am looking at a new house and noticed that there is a chain type downspout in the middle of the driveway. It is down between the 2 bay and single bay garage door. Not sure what else they could have done? The house has a rock from and a downspout attached to the rock would not look good. My question is will this chain leading down to the concrete on the driveway be a problem? Will I have a BIG rust spot on the driveway at the bottom eventually? Any ideas on what I could ask them to do to change this?

Old 04-13-05, 06:17 AM
E
I've seen these chain "spouts" around here, and "installed several per the homeowner's request.

It won't channel the water as efficiently at a real downspout, but one reason it's used around here is to eliminate the freezing/plugging" downspout syndrome. It's also a "design feature". I see it on structures which tend to have certain design elements like Rock Walls, rough cut cedar siding and trim, homes in the mountains, etc.

The water does follow the chain down.

Old 04-13-05, 06:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi
Some artist work i guess.
Must have seen that on HGTV show.
You will have rust for sure.
there spome downspout that are nice like copper or similar you could used.
If my wife wanted a chain for a downspout, i would give here 2 choice
real downspout or divorce

cheers

pg

Old 04-13-05, 06:28 AM
M
downspout

I am not worried about how it looks. It looks fine, I have just never seen a chain in this area before (over the concrete)? If anyone has experience with a chain downspout in this location please let me know. I hope it will not be a big problem, and if it will I am not sure how to change it (or have the builder at this point)? Like I said a real downspout won't really work in this location because of the rock work on this house.

Old 04-13-05, 09:21 AM
hi
if you dont want to change it but camoflage it a little.
just place astatus of your mother-in-law in front of it with a cup of cigar

Old 04-13-05, 09:36 AM
Thumbs down

Have had to put the chain down spouts up on homes AS PER PRINT. After about a year go and take them out. Most of the time run the downspout in copper.In heavy rain the water jumps off it a lot

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: