Flashing above porch's roof

Old 04-13-05, 11:06 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flashing above porch's roof

Hello guys, I have a question regarding roof flashing. We're getting close to finishing up our vinyl siding but want to address our roof flashing situation above our porch. There is a small gap between our porch's roof the side of the house. Before the vinyl siding there was old wood siding, and when they built the porch's roof they just butted the roof up against the old wood siding. We've since tore out the old siding and now are in the process of installing the new vinyl. How should we deal with the issue of flashing where the porch's roof and side of our house meet? To make it easier to visual my question, I've included links to two pictures of the roof in question. (When looking at the pictures, also notice that the roof of the porch isn't a continuous angle but actually changes pitch at about the middle. How should we deal with that issue regarding flashing?

Thanks!

Picture 1
Picture 2

Old 04-13-05, 02:44 PM
E
You need to have step flashings installed. 1 piece of flashing for each row of shingles. They might slip up under the shingles once the seals are popped apart, but it's likely that some nails will have to be pulled from the shingles so that the flashings will actually slip up far enough. Each flashing should overlap the previous one 1.5-2 inches. And the flashings should all be hidden if they're installed right, except where they rise up the wall.

If you're doing this yourself, I recommend you obtain some instructions with diagram so you don't make an inadverdant booboo.

Old 04-15-05, 07:50 AM
S
Thanks for the help so far. The flashing, should it be installed between the shingles and the felt paper?

Last edited by sx460; 04-15-05 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-15-05, 10:13 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Work the step shingles just under the shingles like said. After looking at your picture You might want to use a bigger shingle work it under the shingles. This would give you say a 6" up the wall put one nail in them at the very top and cut your siding to cover them about 2" up off the roof. This will give you a good counter flashing over them

ED

Old 04-15-05, 10:58 AM
S
Thanks Ed for the great info! However, I still sort of fail to realize how water doesn't get under the shingles that rest ontop of the flashing. For example lets picture "L" as the flashing where the verticle (longer) part of the L touching the side of the house and he horizontal part sliding under he shingles. If it were to rain water that finds the flashing would be swept down the roof like water down a slide, but durring it's descent down the roof, how does the water not find it's way under the shingles which rest on the hortizontal part of the L?

Also, when installing the shingles do I leave a small gap between the long part of the L and the shingles of the roof, or do I want to sandwidch the shingles up against the flashing/side of house/long part of the L?

Thanks!!

Old 04-15-05, 11:32 AM
Eaisier to show than describe...
Here is a link that shows a situation exactly like yours....

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/r...ingling_Phase1

Old 04-15-05, 11:36 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Hard to show here like E. Dodge said look around. On the paper around the shingles it shows how a step shingle works. The water will just shed from one to the other.

ED

Old 04-15-05, 11:42 AM
Further review of those photos on the linked page show....
Well...
His valley detail is backwards...
His Ice and water shield application is improper....
He ran his starter strips up-side down.....
other than that....not bad...you'll get the idea.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: