Roof Moss

Old 04-14-05, 11:27 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof Cleaning

Hello,
I have black bacteria on my roof and need a company to clean this off. I only found one company and they are really expensive. I have called several roofing companies and no one does this. Anyone know of a company that cleans the bacteria (algae) off roofs?

Old 04-15-05, 05:06 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
check with a local cleanning company or rent a pressure washer and used that
cheers

pg

Old 04-15-05, 05:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
If you use a pressure washer be sure to use plenty of care. It doesn't take much to damage the shingles.

Old 04-15-05, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by carole622
Hello,
I have black bacteria on my roof and need a company to clean this off. I only found one company and they are really expensive. I have called several roofing companies and no one does this. Anyone know of a company that cleans the bacteria (algae) off roofs?

Where are you located?

Old 04-15-05, 10:27 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

If you use a pressure washer on the roof all warrantys are void. I use a ortho hose spray set at 8 oz and pool chlorine thats 10 % ,clorox is only 5 % This does the job here,

ED

Old 04-27-05, 11:12 PM
F
I'm not sure about black bacteria but I just had a new roof put on and the roofer said that they get rid of moss on roofs by using a box of tide laundry soap, apparently the enzymes in the tide kill moss. All you do is pour the box of soap along the ridgeline and let the rain spread it. If it isn't going to rain you can run a hose and gently spray it down to spread the product. I also spoke to janitorial supply company about getting rid of mold and there is a product out that's an oxygen based cleaner that kills mold on contact. You may want to contact a janitors warehouse and see if it would work on your roof.

Good Luck
F.O.G.

Old 06-03-05, 09:12 AM
T-Square
Visiting Guest
Smile Remove mold and moss!

Mix one gal. of Bleach, a 1 lb. box of TSP (trisodiumphosphate) and 3 gals. of water pour mixture into a garden sprayer and apply to the roof. Wear gum sole shoes, or hire someone to do it for you.

There are many high-pressure spray units sold, the lower pressure units are better for some roofs. Spraying from top down is a must, once the moss or mold is gone, zinc metal strip can be added under the roof cap. And once a year spray of bleach mixture, should keep mold away. Bird dropings contain some molds, while some are airborne.

Laundry low suds cleaners, like 5 gal. bucket of Clout are high in phosphates, which kill off moss. Regular moss removers are high in zinc-sulfates, zineb and phosphates, and take 3-4 weeks to work.

Old 06-03-05, 09:26 AM
Also you should know that it is illegal to allow TSP to run-off into the storm sewer system in many states.
Be carefull, and check out your local codes before you allow someone to spray chemicals on your property, you could open yourself up to an Environmental Contamination Liability.

Installing a strip of zinc can also kill the algae growth, and is relativly simple to install.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: