House wrap under siding

Old 04-16-05, 07:29 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
House wrap under siding

I am replacing some siding on a wood frame house with board (actually plywood) and batten siding. The lining between the siding and insulation is black and kind of papery and fibrous - not sure what it is. I need to replace a small area of this material. I have heard about House Wrap and some other product made of Tyvek, but because most houses in south Florida are concrete block, most stores don't carry it. I did find a huge roll at one Lowe's, $150. I only need a few square feet.

Any suggestions for a substitute material? Apparently it has to be breathable but waterproof, especially because the siding is being replaced because of water damage from splashback.

Thanks!

Old 04-16-05, 07:53 AM
Wink

For down here and just a repair That stuff you have now is the 15 lb felt paper. that they put around the outside of all homes years back is all. Id just get a roll of black feltpaper at lowes or Home Depot. here they might only have 30 lb felt but thats OK also.

ED

Old 04-17-05, 06:10 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds like Typar Housewrap to me. 15# will work OK.
Jim

Old 04-17-05, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
House Wrap

Like Ed said, just use 15# felt or 30# felt. Good Luck

Old 04-20-05, 02:19 AM
S
The 15# felt paper was available at Home Depot in roofing, turns out it is the identical thing that was under the siding. I am amazed that noone at HD had the answer for me - I asked the same questions I posted here. BTW I have some other more general questions about siding, like

(a) is it supposed to be completely impervious to water (should I caulk the edges of the batten boards),
(b) any ideas on how I can waterproof at the bottom so the splashback doesn't damage the plywood (I painted the heck out of both sides before nailing it on)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: