Water in gutter

Old 04-17-05, 07:16 PM
tiffer
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Water in gutter

We had gutters replaced a short time ago. They are aluminum. There are downspouts at each end of the roof. A part of the roof, over the front porch, juts out about 18 inches from the rest of the roof. Because of this there is an section of gutter in which water collects. They cannot seem to get the pitch of the gutter to accomodate this section. So water collects and when it rains or there is a snow melt water runs over this section and onto the porch. Another downspout at this junction would appear to solve the problem. However this section is still over the front porch so a downspout could not be run directly down from that point. It would require and extended elbow of some kind. To add to this there is a section of masonry running along the house that extends out about 1 inch from the house so, short of chiseling out a piece to accomodate the downspout I don't know how else it could be anchored.

Old 04-18-05, 05:04 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I don't see why "they cannot seem to pitch it right". It's not uncommon to see small "jutouts" hold water because the gutters weren't pitched properly.

Not sure about your downspout thought....but downspouts can be attatched to amything I can think of. A small 1inch area of concrete sticking out wouldn't make much difference visually. But maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying on that.............

Old 04-18-05, 05:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It would be suprising if this 18" portion of gutter was the lowest part of your gutter. Your installers should have tried to raise this area as high as possible, since the drops are on each end. It sounds to me like you may have a valley that is overshooting the gutter when it rains hard. Perhaps a deflector on this corner would help to prevent this from being a problem.

If you do need another downspout, remember that your downspout could go straight down and elbow onto the roof below or into another gutter, provided there is one.

Old 04-18-05, 03:17 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It should surprise one when a small 18" 'jutout' holds water.
Have seen it many times myself though. I think it has something to do with the fact the "jutout" itself is lower due to the continuation of the pitch of the roof. Well...and maybe also that the gutter guy didn't give a cowpeye. Boy wouldn't that be rare...a construction service business which didn't care if their work worked or not!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: