Replacing vent pipe boot.

Old 04-19-05, 11:48 AM
chamill
Visiting Guest
Replacing vent pipe boot.

Our vent pipe boot on a 9 year old roof seems to need replacing...the roof is in fine condition, but there is light coming through around the boot.

What do I need to know to replace this?

Should I be able to just pull the old boot up off the pipe, or is it nailed down?

When I put the new boot on, I think I have to weave it into the shingles with the top part under the shingles and the bottom half over the lower shingles. Is that correct?

Do I just use roof cement to hold it down or do I need to use nails and cement?

Do I cement around the entire edge?

If by chance the roof seems too high and steep for me when I get up there, how much do you think a handyman or roofer might charge to just put on a new boot?

Thanks a lot!

Old 04-19-05, 12:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,959 Upvotes on 1,756 Posts
First, plan on destroying a few shingles when you take the old one out. It's very difficult to get some old shingles up (with putty knife, flatbar and hammer) without busting them to pieces. Even when you try to be careful, you usually wreck some. You might want to try to locate a few shingles to match before beginning.

The shingles you will want to remove will be the ones that go up and around the top of the boot. One or two rows, depending on how they shingles around it originally. Some roofers love to nail and tar the heck out of those things, so be prepared for that.

I like to lay shingles around the vent pipe (so that you have to cut a full hole in that row) and then install the boot. Simply run 2 beads of roofing cement vertically to seal the sides. No need to get carried away with it- you're only trying to stop water from blowing horizontally into the vent pipe penetration. I like to nail the boot to the house using three galvanized roofing nails (located along the bottom of the boot flashing), which are then sealed with roofing cement. When you apply the next course of shingles, they will overlap the boot and get cut up and over the boot. Before you nail this shingle down, run 2 beads of roofing cement vertically to seal the sides of the vent. This will keep water from blowing sideways off the boot until it is flashed by the shingle underneath.

There's no need to apply more tar than this. Tarring the cut edge around the boot might actually serve to catch water in time.

Old 04-19-05, 01:57 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'd normally charge something in the neiborhood of $80-150 to replace a pipe jack...depending on pitch, size of jack, type of shingle, etc. I'm not a handyman {although "handy"} but a roofer. Not aware of average "handyman rates", but I don't think there would be much of a difference between what a roofer would charge and many of these current handymen who work through "professional" handyman services. Of course there ARE those guys with signs on their trucks which state: Handyman-$15 per hr.

You might just try caulking the thing first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: