Racoon Damage

Old 04-23-05, 05:18 AM
raisaacs
Visiting Guest
Racoon Damage

We heard a loud chewing noise above the bed the other night and in the morning discovered a racoon had opened a 1' x 2' hole in the roof, just at the lower edge, into the attic. Roof is an old (15 YR) shallow sloped wood shake roof. Needs replacement within next few years, but no leaks in evidence yet,except this great gaping hole.

Found how to evict racoons, (Loud radio, lights) and will confirm success. Please recommend best way for a DIY fix.

I assume it will require

Tear down to boards for a foot around hole.
How far out will I need to open the adjacent shakes to tie in with surrounding undamaged area?

How far UP the slope of the roof will I need to go to make the patch water tight?

What else should I consider?

Old 04-23-05, 12:12 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Without actually seeing it............
Is the "hole" through the wood deck?

As far as puting the roof itself back together, you should go up to a couple feet past the area affected. I'll pull off the shakes as far as needed to make a good tie-in with the existing felts. When pulling off the repair" perimeter" shakes, try not to disturb or tear the old felts as you want to have a good tie-in on either side and at the top.
You should have a base 30lb. felt, and a second layer of 30lb. felt--shake liner felts, 1 row of felt for each row of shakes. These are the most important felts when tying in.
When pulling off the last shakes you're going to pull off, you need to pull out any staples or nails as well, on the side and top tie-in areas, so you can slip the new felts up as far as you need to. Whatever you do with fitting the felts in place, they should fit and overlap in the same way they were to begin with.

When putting it back together, sometimes I've installed steel instead of the felts, or along with the felts, so if the critter comes back, they're discouraged from entering the same spot.

You can find drawings showing how the interlaced felts and shakes need to be installed at:
http://www.cedarbureau.org/

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: