New Roof Cost Estimate

Old 04-26-05, 04:16 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Roof Cost Estimate

Hello, I live in Charlottesville, Virginia and need a new roof - my current roof is buckling, not leaking yet though. Does anyone have a ballpark estimate on how much a roof is per square? Just rough estimate here obviously. The house is 28 square, a ranch with a normal pitch - very easy to do actually?

I've have a quote of $54 per sq for 30yr architectural shingles, or $74/sq of 50 yr shingles - is there an advantage to paying the extra $600 for 50yr shingles?

Thanks

Cary

Old 04-26-05, 05:31 PM
W
For what it's worth, I'm doing my own roof with something on the order of 16 square, and my project cost is around $1500. That includes materials and tools, the most expensive of those tools being a nail gun. The shingles themselves were $600 of the cost, and I'm just using 25 year 3-tab shingles.

Old 04-26-05, 05:57 PM
Roof cost

CJSAUER:
It appears to me that the numbers you gave me for estimates are for materials only. This is how a roof is estimated. Re-roofing runs about $85.00 per square. If there are 2 layers, add another $25.00 per square. This does not include materials. So that would be about $2400 plus materials. YOur materials will be about another $1500. For approximately $4000.00. Now in many parts of the country, this $85.00 is cheap. It can go anywhere up to $150.00 a square or higher plus materials. As for your shingle question. Do not let yourself get caught up in the 25 year, 30 year, or 50 year idea. No shingles will last that long. The best shingles will only last about 35 years. The years like 30 year, 40 year etc, are the way they measure the weight of the shingles and the amount of wind they will withstand. If you are in an area that gets alot of storms and winds, definetly consider the 50 year shingle. If not go with a less year, like 30 or 35. One other thing I will mention. In Virginia, if you are close to the coast, you get those hurricanes and high winds that follow the coast up from Florida. If you are, consider a heavy wind shingle. In roofing, you really get what you pay for. Good Luck

Old 04-27-05, 12:35 AM
C
Thanks

Thanks for the replies

Is my estimate of architectural shingles 30yr and all the flashing, tar paper, etc for 28 square too high - the estimate is $2300 delivered?

The climate in Charlottesville (central VA) about 2hrs south of Washington DC is not very severe - ie not severe wind, rain, hurricane so I guess I will probably go with 30 yr shingles - its just tempting to do 50 year since the cost isn't much more.

Are different nails needed for 50 year shingles? Are there any other additional costs? Or am I just stupid for even considering them?

Thanks

Cary

Old 04-27-05, 04:28 PM
Roofing Cost

I guess I am confused about the estimate. The materials cost whatever they cost in the store. If you are getting 28 square, why would you have an estimate. If some roofer gave you that number, ask where they came from, and go there and check what price is at the store. Now, before you jump off on the wrong path here, there is one more thing. Twice you have mentioned architectual shingles. There is in fact a line of shingles called architectual shingles. There are also dimensional shingles which are about the same. Most could not even tell the difference if they were holding them in their hands. Arch shingles are more expensive then dimensional shingles, and if they are infact Arch shingles, the price is about right. The shingles use the same nails. Hope this helps. Good Luck

Old 04-29-05, 12:49 AM
E
I don't understand what the numbers are for either.
A 30 yr. dimensional runs about $40-43 per square, roof loaded. I find it hard to believe there's much difference in cost unless you're aquiring them through JOE's HARDWARE.

Colorado price might run:
Mat. and Lab.---shingling: $117 per sq.
Strip 1 layer---------------- 40 per sq.
30lb. felt-------------------- 20
Additional charges to flash
chimneys, skylights, pipes,
vents, and depending on
roofer...step flash, wall flash,
edge flash...
And steeper pitch is more,
bad access is more, low-pitched
areas are more, etc.
Plus 10% waste factor on
actual square footage.

There's far to much attention paid to price when it should be on finding honest, reputable, competent roofer.

Old 04-29-05, 01:42 AM
C
estimate

Hello and sorry for confusing things.

The estimate was for matierial only because thats what I"m buying. I wasn't sure because some people were saying they roofed fo rmuch cheaper.

THe estimate is $54 a sq for 30 yr architectural shingle, with all the extras - paper, felt, flashing, etc etc will be $2300 total for 28 square - delivered. This is what I'm arranging, then the guy doing the roof gets paid for roofing labor etc.

Thanks for all your input.

Cary

Old 04-29-05, 01:22 PM
Roofing Cost

C Sauer
Yes you are about right. That is about $82.00 a square. Which is pretty close to what I estimated your cost would be. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: