new house - how much gravel is enough???

Old 04-28-05, 04:09 AM
regina20
Visiting Guest
Question new house - how much gravel is enough???

My husband and I are building our first home. My father insists that we should put five feet of gravel around the outside perimeter of the basement walls in order to minimize basement water problems, prevent the sump pump from running excessively, and prevent basement flooding.

The builder claims that five feet is excessive and will not be beneficial. As standard, the house will be built with one foot of gravel, and the builder advises that we put only an additional foot of gravel to ease the concerns expressed by my father.

This issue has caused a tremendous problem. On the one hand, I do not want to risk a leaky basement. On the other I do not want to put money into the ground that does not benefit me when it could be put into other areas of the house. However, if I do disregard my father's advice, I have no doubt that he will take it quite personnally.

I would greatly appreciate some additional advice on this issue so that I can make an educated decision and move forward with the house.
MUCH THANKS,
Regina

Old 04-28-05, 04:57 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
5 feet of gravel
there more water that way
follow the builder advise make sure you have drain pipe all arond the parameter and the gravel must be 5/8 wash gravel
been there done that

good luck

Old 04-28-05, 09:48 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Think of the gravel as a reservoir. Do you want 2' of water against the foundation or 5' ? Its far more important to properly grade the yard away from the house and divert the spoutings away from the house.

As far as him being mad, act like you are agreeing with him and do what you think is best.

Old 04-28-05, 10:07 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You dont say if this is a walk out basement or not. You could take and show him the new drain pipe they have for there with the popcorn foam around it. You put it on the footing and a cloth like goes over it so the water can get in it but not the dirt We also run another drain pick up pipe down along side the footing in side the basement. This to the outside if walk out or a sump hole to be in the floor for a pump. it dont cost much now to put the pipe under the floor now as later on if you do need it.
Like said the grade around the home and good gutters to drain the water off and away from the home all count for sure.

ED

Old 04-28-05, 03:59 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have a daylight basement. I used a drainage composite over rubberized-asphalt waterproofing membrane and added 1' of gravel for insurance. Our pipes go downhill all of the way to about 10' below the basement (long run!) and are 12" below the bottom of the basement floor. This was a basement that had flooded many times in the past.....never a drop since we installed the French Drain ( 8 years).
Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: