Replacing some shake shingles

Old 04-29-05, 06:35 PM
hoopers
Visiting Guest
Replacing some shake shingles

My roof is about 8 years old and I keep thinking I hear a "drip" on occasion when it rains. I have a vaulted ceiling in my bedroom so getting to the "spot" I THINK I may be seeing on my painted ceiling might be tough. I don't see any other areas that seem to be leaking so I have to wonder if the "spot" is from water or just a spot. It has not gotten any larger and I have been here for 4 years. What are the chances that I could just replace the "culprit" shingels myself, IF I am able to find this possible leak? If I could afford to have someone look at this, I would do that but I am tight for $$$ right now and may have to attempt my own repair.

Old 04-29-05, 07:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Spot on Ceiling

If the spot has been there 4 years and has not gotten any bigger, chances are it is just a spot. Close your eyes and go to sleep. Also the answer is No, you could not fix the leak yourself with shakes. Where the water comes in is not where the leak is. Good Night

Old 04-30-05, 03:19 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Agree with Jack. If the spot never changes, don't worry about it.

And anyway, most small or tiny spots on ceilings which do not drip, but only stay the same or seem to grow slowly over time are usually something like a pipe jack collar which is "open" or some small tiny opening at a flashing juncture....NOT a major functional deficiency.

You might look to see what's up there besides the shakes.
Look for pipes, roof/wall junctures, roof vents, etc.

Not very likely, statisticly [my personaly gathered statistics}, you have a leak coming in simply because a few shakes need replacing. Replacing bad shakes is mainly a maintenance item in order to keep the felt from burning out in direct sunshine. And if you replace some shakes without knowing how a shake roof is put together, you might very well make a leak where none existed.

Old 05-01-05, 06:51 PM
hoopers
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much!!

It wan't a project I was looking forward to, anyway. I am relieved to know that I don't have a serious leak. I will go at the ceiling with Kilz and a fresh coat of paint and forget it was ever there. Thank you both, again, for taking time to answer my post.

CASE CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: