Basement Leak Around Patio (walkout)

Old 04-30-05, 01:20 PM
steven506
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Basement Leak Around Patio (walkout)

There is a small water leak in my walkout basement where the concrete patio is located. My builder has tried caulking around most everything with silicon, but this didn't take care of the problem completely. He even had his crew reinstall the doorway (french doors) to no avail. It was while the doorway was being reinstalled that I noticed the patio level next to the wall is 1/2" to 3/4" higher than the basement floor; I also noticed that there is a slight elevation decrease on the edge of the patio that meets the wall. In my opinion, this means that water is pooling just enough so that it is leaking between the patio and vinyl siding. Then, since the patio elevation is higher than that of the basement floor, the water is seeping into the basement. This only happens during a heavy rain...during a light to moderate rain the area of the patio next to the house does not get wet due to the deck above blocking most of the rain. I performed a test by spraying a water house at the edge of the patio that meets with the house, and sure enough water leaked in. I guess at this point replacement of the patio may be required, because in my opinion the patio elevation should be no higher than the level of the basement floor.

I guess what I'm searching for here is support that my opinion may in fact be correct. Any help/information/reassurance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Steven

Old 04-30-05, 03:12 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,185 Upvotes on 1,955 Posts
You are correct. Your patio should be sloped to direct water away from the house. Caulking may work for a short while, but it is not a permanent solution. I assume the contractor is trying cheaper and easier options first before considering ripping out your patio, possibly re-grading and re-pouring the slab.

Old 04-30-05, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
We had a doofus working for us once that did this exact thing- poured the patio higher than the basement floor, and when it rained, water would head back toward the house. (Needless to say, he's no longer employed with us). The solution was to rip out the cement and pour a new pad.

Old 05-01-05, 02:40 AM
steven506
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reassurance. You have no idea how much time I've spent diagnosing the problem on my own, so it's a good feeling to know that I'm most likely right.

When the patio is repoured, should it be at the same level as the basement floor or actually below it? I don't mind having to step down onto the patio, but it would be nice to have it even with the basement floor if this will not cause problems.

Old 05-01-05, 05:05 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It should be below the basement floor and properly pitched away from the house. If its the same height, you could still get water directly under the sill plate of the door.

Old 05-01-05, 06:05 AM
steven506
Visiting Guest
Thank you.

What's the recommended spacing between the basement floor and the top of the patio...one inch or so?

Old 07-19-05, 07:23 AM
steven506
Visiting Guest
Update: Problem Resolved

Over the last month or two I persuaded the builder to accomplish the following at no charge to myself:

1 - Ripped out the old patio.
2 - Poured a new patio 1/2" below the basement floor level and out away from the corner.
3 - Replaced siding that was damaged during the original "fixes".
4 - Ripped out carpeting around doorway and replaced with ceramic tile.

Old 07-19-05, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,924 Upvotes on 1,728 Posts
wow! Nice job, Steven. We hope it solves your water problems!

Old 07-20-05, 05:19 AM
steven506
Visiting Guest
Thanks. Before the tile was put down I performed extensive testing with the water hose and sprinkler to ensure the leak was resolved (we hadn't had any rain here in KY for weeks).

Now it's time to move onto the upstairs flooring in which I'm leaning more towards laminate than hardwood due to a labrador retriever living in the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: