new roof: open or closed valleys?

Old 05-01-05, 03:07 AM
Picatavi
Visiting Guest
new roof: open or closed valleys?

I'm having my roof redone with IKO 30-year laminated architectural shingles. I've noticed that the local builders are now using closed valleys (with no eaves flashing) instead of the open metal valleys and flashing they've been using for years. I've read that the effectiveness of membranes like Grace Ice & Water Shield enables this approach.

I like the look of closed valleys and am thinking of going that route. What is your opinion of this approach for a steep-pitched roof in Vermont? Also, which of the techniques do you recommend? This Fine Homebuilding article shows several different techniques:

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...ges/h00135.asp

-Rich

Old 05-02-05, 03:03 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
depending on your location.
If you have ice and snow, i would go with metal valley.
I know for a fact i have close valley on mine and i'm in nc and when the roof will need replacement i will used metal valley.
better look and last longer.
close valley are cheapper than metal, i think thats why there using shingles to close valley

my opinion

pg

Old 05-02-05, 11:57 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think open valleys look better myself. The idea behind laminated/dimensional shingles is to give off the "look" of wood. On a real wood roof you'd have open valleys.

If you want closed, that can work. But you might tend to see the tell-tail lump going up one side of the valley with a closed valley.

It probably doesn't matter that much which way you go, as long as you line the valley with the membrane, and water-proof the valley with felt as well.

Old 05-02-05, 01:17 PM
jv225
Visiting Guest
I always use exposed metal valleys. IMO it looks better. It also lasts longer.The shingles in a closed valley always seem to wear out first.

Old 05-02-05, 01:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Me too A good metal storm valley that the one we make like a W in it so you have like two valleys for the cost of one that the water can run down. Not just one to wear out.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: