Flat roof problems! Please help!

Old 05-01-05, 04:15 PM
Warped
Visiting Guest
Flat roof problems! Please help!

Hello! I have a problem with a flat roof on a rental property that I own. The flat roof is above the front porch of the house and it's rotting. There is an oak tree nearby and leaves, acorns and other debris collects up there. I also suspect that the flat roof has been funneling water inside the front wall of the house.

What I would like to do is tear the flat roof off of the house and build a new sloped roof in it's place. In order to do that, I would have to move the back edge of the roof up onto the existing asphalt shingled roof about a foot. I can't go much further back than that due to the dormers. I can also replace the stanchions (columns?) that hold up the outside edge with slightly shorter ones. Is this feasible?

I'm not new to framing but I've never run into this sort of situation before. To me, the logical thing to do would be to locate the existing trusses and lag bolt 2" x 6" rafters into them through the existing asphalt shingles, plywood and all. Is this the correct way of attaching that end of them to the house? After that, the rest of the job seems pretty straight forward to me but I would still appreciate any advice regarding this matter.

Oh, one other question... Do any of you know where I can locate the building code(s) online for Norfolk VA? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer in this!

Jeff

Old 05-02-05, 01:12 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Why not CHECK online for the Norfolk, Va. building Dept.....then see if they do post the codes?
But, none of my local jurisdictions here "post the codes" online, although they might make reference from time to time to one or more codes or code changes. There's just to many of them I imagine.

In your case, I bet the building dept. will want to at least see a drawing of what you propose to do....and in a worse case scenario, even want a "structural engineered" drawing with someone's {the strucural engineer} licence number on it.

I don't advise you to proceed without all required approvals...but whatever you do, don't simply lay the new strucural members on top of the old roofing, please. I always hate it when someone has added on, or extended out...and simply nailed the new framing members through the old roofing materials....into the wood deck {happens 'all' the time} Plus it compromises the integrity of the thing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: