Leaky basement ,, due to water from roof

Old 05-05-05, 10:02 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaky basement ,, due to water from roof

I have a leak in my basement ,, on both sides of the house and it's due to the water that is coming off of the "sides" of the downward slope of the roof.

If we get a heavy rain i notice that on this 'outside' of the downward slope of the roof it drips like crazy ,, so much that you can hear it hitting the top of the bbq that's located right up against the house and under this part of the slope.

The basement gets wet only after a fairly hard rain and the water starts to come off this part of the roof.

I know this might not make much sense , but it's kind of hard to describe. It's almost like the water is running down the slope on an angle and going over the edge before making it down to the eavestrough ,, the only problem is , is that its running over the edge about 6-10 feet before reaching the eavestrough ,, it's almost like i need an eavestrouph attated to the side of the downward slope.

I know i need to fix the basement wall ,, but that means digging up the deck below the dripping roof as it's impossible to get close to the house to dig without taking up the whole deck.

Is there anything that i could put under the roof tiles at the edge to channel that water down the way it's supposed to???

I hope that this makes some sense to you all , and that with the warm weather here , i'll be able to do something about this.

Gord

Old 05-06-05, 04:37 AM
E
Some people install an edge flashing, upside down, under the
gable/rake roof edge to "trough" the water into the gutter. But they don't always work that well.

It may not look that great.

Not sure if I understand what you're describing, but it sounds like your roof gable/rake edges run inward as it slopes down, which would explain the abnormal water runoff.

Why not just have a gutter installer install gutters, and tie them into the existing gutters?

Old 05-06-05, 05:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,975 Upvotes on 1,771 Posts
It sounds like your soffits have sagged under their own weight, and water is running down and sideways rather than just down.

If your house already has a metal drip edge on those gable ends, I would think that you could bend an additional flashing (with a metal break and aluminum trim coil) that would be shaped like an aluminum j-channel (only a little wider and deeper), stick it underneath your d-edge and and nail through the face of both of them. It would almost be like a mini-gutter.

E. Dodge's suggestion (upside down edging) is good too, the only drawback to it might be that it could also make water back up underneath the shingles.

Old 05-06-05, 06:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
Although your problem is best addressed on the outside, you may want to consider applying dryloc to the basement walls. I have always believed that the correct way to fix basement water problems is on the outside. I have worked for several builders who either didn't know or care, and insisted I fix it with drylok on the inside. Most of the time it did stop the water from passing through the wall.

Old 05-06-05, 07:52 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Id call around there and find a sheet metal shop that does and knows gutter work. Have them take a look at it.
Is the grade all away from the house outside? That helps

ED

Old 05-06-05, 02:41 PM
G
Thanks for all the suggestions ,,,if i put a gutter and tied it in to the existing eavestrough it would really make the house look weird ( my opinion ) in the fact that i'd have eavestrough running down and around the whole house.

I thought about putting some sort of aluminum edging under the tiles to force the water to travel down to the gutters , but wasn't sure how to go about it ,,i'll have to talk to some home improvement guys that do roofs in the area and see what i can come up with.

I was planning on "ripping" down everything in the basement and patching from the inside ,, but was hoping to do something from the outside (from above) as well ,, the inside means ripping down the drywall that the builders had put up just halfway down the walls ,, luckily , if there is such a thing as it being lucky ,, the walls in question are in the laundry / work room of the basement ,, but it's having to pull away all the collected mess of 20 years of living here to get at it

The grade is away from the house ,, but because of the constant dripping , and once again this really only happens after a quick thaw of snow or a heavy rain , the dripping is right close to the house and after spraying every which way after hitting the deck , i guess it gets right up next to the foundation.

Once again ,, thanks for the suggestions ,, i guess it's up on a ladder this weekend for a closer look and to come up with some ideas on "training" the rain water to go to the gutters and not over the edge.

Gord

Old 05-06-05, 06:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,975 Upvotes on 1,771 Posts
>>the dripping is right close to the house and after spraying every which way
>>after hitting the deck , i guess it gets right up next to the foundation.

This makes me wonder if perhaps the deck is in any way connected with your leakage problems. In another thread we were discussing deck ledgers and flashing problems. Perhaps water is leaking behind your deck ledger, rotting out the sheathing and making your basement problems worse? It would be worth checking out.

Old 05-06-05, 07:30 PM
G
I had been wondering if the water was getting in around where they had bolted the deck to the house , if that's where the water was getting in ,,, i noticed that on my neighbors house that the tiles hang over the eaves a little more than my do and maybe that's why it's hitting so close to the house and splashing in towards the foundation.

I can't afford to replace the roof right now and it was done only about 8 years ago ,, so i guess my options are either to put some sort of flashing to drain the water away from the roof edges , to put some sort of flashing at the deck level to keep the water from getting to the house wall ,, and with either option ,,seal the inside walls in the basement.

Any other options??

Gord

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: