heat absorbany of shingles

Old 05-11-05, 06:03 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question heat absorbany of shingles

I'm thinking of changing from white/gray asphalt shingles to a light brown. Someone told me the brown would absorb more heat and raise my cost of a/c. Is there a rating for heat absorbancy? Or some of you who know about these things - how much difference do you really think the color change would make? Thanks.
Cats

Old 05-11-05, 01:46 PM
Actually its a bit more complex than that. It also depends on how well your roof is vented. Plus darker shingles help keep the house warmer in the winter.
You need to weigh all the needs, not focus on a single season.

Old 05-11-05, 04:37 PM
Shingle Absorbancy

The white/gray are called frost, the light tan are usually called autumn. The absorbancy rate between the two is not very much, but as Hellrazor said, you must take things into consideration in deciding this. Good Luck

Old 05-11-05, 04:39 PM
E
White is by far the most reflective, judging by the heat it puts off when installing....black and dark brown are the worst....with the rest seeming to be about the same...IMO.

Even if you're vented well, these shingles will still get extremely hot.

Old 05-15-05, 07:59 PM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
as long as its vented, it will still add a good amount of heat, but it won't be noticable to your AC costs. and like already stated, depending on where you live, you might only use your AC for 4 months and use your heat for 6-8, and with the oil and gas prices going up, id worry more about the heating bills.

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 05-15-05 at 08:01 PM. Reason: No Advertising or Soliciation Allowed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: