Adding a Dormer problem

Old 05-12-05, 05:41 AM
jl13864
Visiting Guest
Adding a Dormer problem

Hello,

I have a pretty old home with a measurement of h4" X w2" and 20ft long ridge. I am planning on using 8" rafters for my 16ft dormer project. It would be pretty difficult to remove the older ridge and replace it with a new one. Can I just build up the bottom of it with 2 2xs stacking and nailing underneath to add another 3" of ridge, would look alot better than 8" rafters on a 4" height ridge.

Thanks,
jeff

Old 05-15-05, 07:56 PM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
is this a full shed dormer in which you would be pulling rafters off one side to replace them? if so, sister up a 2x8 as far as you can. thats the easiest thing you could do, the roof line will still sag if you're in a snow area due to the increased snow load of a less pitched roof. what size are the existing rafters? if the rafters on the other side are also bigger then the existing 2x4 ridge, put another 2x4 on the bottom so the bottom of the 2x8s can't buckle down and sag. those are the only things i can think of off the top of my head right now. hope it helps.

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 05-15-05 at 07:58 PM. Reason: No Advertising or Soliciation Allowed
Old 05-16-05, 11:48 AM
jl13864
Visiting Guest
Thank you!!! I was in mid project when I posted and already went on with the project since this was the only reply I've gotten back in about a week. I went ahead and build up the 20ft ridge with 2-2x6 joint together and anchored to studs at the ends as well as anchored to the ridge. I will be sistering headers to this ridge like you suggested. I was planning on going with 2 2x8 (offset to roof pitch) headers but am not sure if 2 would be an overkill instead of one. How many do you suggest? On the other side of the ridge, rafters are also 2x4 but they're no where as near as long as the ones I'm replacing. They're only about 10ft long and end at a gable connection. Placing a 2x4 under sounds great since I'm in NY, You're reply was extremely helpful, thanks again.

Jeff

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: