Estimate on a Torched roofing job

Old 05-16-05, 01:44 PM
ShawnMcQuaid
Visiting Guest
Estimate on a Torched roofing job

hello forum!

I have some specs here I would like to share, I was wondering if anyone could gimme an estimate on a job were working on.

we want to get a basic estimate for labour. all the materials will be purchased and placed on the roof for us.

the roofs 8,316' square feet.. its a three story walkup

couple questions I was wondering....

How much labour will be needed, how long will this take us, how many guys are we going to need.

this is a small piece of an enormous job and Im trying to get an idea of what one roof would be before we took on the rest of the project.

thank you all for your professional insight and I thank you ahead of time for your response.

Shawn

Old 05-16-05, 02:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you have no experience with Mod Bit systems... tear-off? minimum 2 men 8 to 10 days. Thats around 10 sq. per day. New Construction? 5 to 6 days.
However I suggest you find an experienced torch man...or risk burning the place down!

Good Luck!

Old 05-16-05, 03:04 PM
ShawnMcQuaid
Visiting Guest
thank you for your quick response!

my friend is wondering what you meant by mod bit systems... were going to take your torch advice heh .... these buildings are huge

Old 05-16-05, 04:17 PM
E
Having 18 years of torch-on experience, if you've never done it before, I believe you could be doing yourself a good deal of potential harm...not to mention the poor property owner by plunging into this thing.

I would STRONGLY recommend you at least HIRE an individual who knows what he's doing. It's far far more than simply rolling the product out as you heat it up. It's called hands-on experience. Not a all like learning how to shingle or painting, etc.

Not knowing how to correctly install a "modified" membrane has the potential to literally install a near totally useless roof, and that's no exageration.

Old 05-17-05, 01:40 PM
Sorry Shawn, but the "Mod Bit" was thrown in as bait..and you took it.
Its roofers lingo for "Modified Bitumen" which is the product you would be installing.
Please hire and experienced crew for this ...or as I agree w/ Dodge ...it would be wasted effort and potentially a HUGE LIABILITY for you.

Good Luck!

Old 05-17-05, 05:37 PM
ShawnMcQuaid
Visiting Guest
I actually asked you what it was first before resorting to google.

thank you all for your insight, I will take you advice

Old 05-19-05, 04:37 AM
E
Good luick with your learning experience on someone's very expensive gamble.

Although I was happy to see it when Home Depot started to carry some torch-applied products, I expect to now see some fires started by homeowners...not just the occasional roofer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: