Buckle in the roof

Old 05-16-05, 03:27 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Buckle in the roof

I noticed a buldge abut 2 feet long and 6 to 8 inches wide in my roof. Upon goin onto the roof I have found that there is not evidence of anything hitting the roof, and the shingles are all in tact, but it feels like the bottom of one of the peices of plywood sheeting has buckled upward about 2 inches.

The house is only two years old, and my wife works for the homebuilder, so getting the roofers to repair it cheap or free is not a problem. But I was just currious if anyone had any idea what would cause this. While I was up there I ispected the rest of the roof and all seems fine.

I have not yet gone into the attic - I am waiting untill tonight when it cools off - Central Florida can be brutaly hot in the attic durring the day.

Old 05-16-05, 04:24 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How about the possibility that the decking was never completely nailed off during original construction?

Not only is this not uncommon, I've had to bring it to attention of many "contractors" on the rare occasions I decide to bother with new construction work {and the new construction pricing}.

Looked at a roof several months ago where about 1/2 of one entire side {about 500 sq. ft. worth} was obviously never nailed off prior to roofing it. The whole thing stuck up 2-4 inches all over.

In fact, even the smallest area of unnailed decking has a tendancy to "poof" and buckle up if allowed to do so.

Tell the contractor what you believe it is and DEMAND he fix it..."please".

Old 05-16-05, 04:54 PM
seantheroofer
Visiting Guest
edodge is right

he is right about the nailing of the decking. i see it on a daily basis. one problem with new construction is that a lot of the roofs are only warrentied for a year in the tampa and st. pete area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: