low pitched roof underlayment

Old 05-19-05, 08:16 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
low pitched roof underlayment

I have a shed roof on part of my house (roughly 3:12). In my rush to get it partially weather tight, I covered it with a synthetic underlayment. I read a previouse post that 2 layers of underlayment can be used (would like to stay away from that) or a full covering of ice and water shield can be used (I would prefer). Should I remove the underlayment that is currently there? I believe that the I/W shield should be adhered to the plywood.

Old 05-19-05, 10:42 AM
texaspaul
Visiting Guest
Opinions may differ on this subject, but the manufactures of the watershield that I have used, require it to be stuck to the deck. (Tarco, Gaf.) Other contractors, prefer to place a utility underlayment between the watershield and the deck, hince the next tear off is complete and easy. I would look at tearing off to a clean deck and placing the watershield.

Old 05-19-05, 02:02 PM
E
texaspaul is correct. And I've done it both ways myself. But one is supposed to adhere it to the deck.

I still go over the felt in the valleys with it however.

By the way, something we do now on low-pitches roofs, that works great, is to install a 2in. by 6in. edge flashing, then the membrane, adhering it to the top of the edge flashing. This guarantees no leaking-no how, at the eves, unless ofcourse the gutter backs up to the top, allowing the water level to rise as high as the back of the gutter.

Old 05-19-05, 02:03 PM
E
Got carried away, didn't really ANSWER your question....I wouldn't bother wasting it by tearing it up. Like I said, I've done it both ways and it works.

Old 05-20-05, 10:01 AM
I have a shed roof on part of my house (roughly 3:12).......

The "roughly" part will make a BIG difference. Any less than 3, you MUST have a 100% watertight membrane and/or underlayment. Over 3, redundancy (2-ply) of the underlayment and shingles can work.
Being that your up-north, I would recommend the Ice and Water guard applied directly to the deck if your going to attempt shingling, or of course the 100% waterproof membrane (Modifed-Bitumen, EPDM, etc.)

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: