New 2:12 Shed Roof Options

Old 05-20-05, 07:59 AM
TVS
Visiting Guest
Smile New 2:12 Shed Roof Options

I am building a new two story 8' x 12' addition on a 106 year old row house in the Wash DC area and am trying to decide whether a copper roof is the right choice. The height and slope would make it visible to the birds but not anyone else. It seems with a 2:12 that a flat seam fully soldered copper would be an excellent way to go, but maybe its overkill. On other properties I have been happy with mod. bit., but this is my home. I will sub out the roofing on this but I am doing much of the other parts of the project.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 05-20-05, 09:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Copper is the beter choice of those options. 50yr+ life.
However, I would not spec a flat soldered seam. Too many seams at water level, a higher percentage of failure chances. My initial system review choice would be to install high temp, ice and water guard membrane 100% then a standing seam application.
Dosent have to be copper. There is a wide range of coated metals that can perform just as long with a significant $$ savings

Good Luck!

Old 05-20-05, 10:06 AM
Metal Roof

I agree with Shinster. Copper is over kill especially if no one can see the beautiful roof. I would probably use steel. One ridge every 12" Less expensive the copper. Does not have to be soldered due to the overlap and snap in qualities. It does need to be screwed down. I would also put Ice and frost over your whole roof. Great stuff, will not leak, and you will be very happy with your new roof. Good Luck ps Do not use the thin steel., use the heavy steel (thicker).

Old 05-20-05, 06:43 PM
seantheroofer
Visiting Guest
heres an option http://www.ibroof.com/
outstanding warranties ,outstanding product, in my opinion. it real easy to apply. 1 person job basicly

Last edited by seantheroofer; 05-21-05 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-26-05, 03:50 PM
RoofersReview
Visiting Guest
I have to disagree.
A flat seam soldered roof would be the best option for this roof.
I have been tearing off 100 yr old copper roofs and installing new copper roofs for many years.
A properly applied copper double lock standing seam with 1 1/2' high seams would also work.
And depending on details and roof transitions, a steel or aluminum standing seam could lead to potential problems.
The cost is worth it, and copper would be historically correct.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-29-05, 10:47 PM
The biggest issue with the flat locked, soldered seam is finding the people with the skills to do the work.

Old 05-31-05, 05:40 PM
RoofersReview
Visiting Guest
Now that I agree with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: