Skylight Leak

Old 05-20-05, 11:33 AM
Nismo
Visiting Guest
Skylight Leak

I have a Skylight leak. I wanted to go up on the roof and put some waterproof sealer around the skylight, to the roof and seal it up. What can I buy at Home Depot to get that job complete?

Is there a spray application or will it be brush on? What are some options?

Old 05-20-05, 05:06 PM
seantheroofer
Visiting Guest
first there are a couple of things to consider. what kind of skylight do you have? is it a flush mount or curb mount? flush mount does what the name says, it sits flush on the roof. curb mounts sit on a frame, usally 2x4s with flashing (L shaped metal that runs around the frame, to prevent water leaking in the edges).
first go up on the roof and vey carefully inspect the area around it ( a good 3 feet on all 4 sides) and maybe a ways above it. look for nails popping thru or any thing out of the ordinary (i once did a repair from a bullet that had lodged into the roof). then get down close to the sky light and look for the obviuos, like a crack in the lens it self, rusted out flashing,rusted out nails or screws that hold the lens on. basicly any thing that does not look right.
if you do use a caulk product buy one with silicone, vulcanized rubber, or terpolymer elatomer( the good stuff in my area) please bear in mind this might be only a quick fix, you might force the leak somewhere else and cause unseen damage that will cost more in the future.
also shy away from ( my opinon) Garner products. you do get what you pay for. as for spray on stuff , if roofing was that easy i would be out of work.

Old 05-21-05, 03:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Skylights and chimneys are tricky. I never touch a leaking one unless I can 100% replace all flashings. In that case I will guarantee it will never leak again. Anything less no guarantee.

Old 05-24-05, 05:13 AM
Nismo
Visiting Guest
It is the curb mount... Thanks for the replies...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: