Wired noise from roof

Old 05-20-05, 12:40 PM
actonwang
Visiting Guest
Wired noise from roof

Hi,

Since I bought the house, I encountered a serise of little problems. One of them is the noise from the roof.
When there is a big wind or storm, a constant noise will appear from my roof. I was able to climb up into my attic to check to see if there is some crack or leak. I didn't see any visible crack but I spotted the poistion where the noise happens. It seems that the sound is from outside roof so I went outside to check if there is some problem. I noticed that the spot is somewhere around the joint on the roofs (We have a steep roof, 1/3 way down to the bottom it protruded outside to form a less steep some area roof. Think it as an extension of the main roof.).
But I didn't see any visible problem even I spotted the position.

Any idea, guys? Do I need to call a professional guy up?

Acton

Old 05-20-05, 06:19 PM
seantheroofer
Visiting Guest
ya know i read that 4 times trying to picture what your roof looks like. the only thing i can think of is maybe there might be some type of flashing that is loose at the break ( where the pitch changes). if thats the case pull the old shingles out , re nail flashing, and replace the shingles ( you can reuse your old shingles, if you took them out carefully ) and reseal them with a plastic roof cement

Old 05-22-05, 10:29 AM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it a metalic type noise or a creaky kind-o-thing?

I wonder if there's some slight framing deficiency which might allow the lower-pitched {add on?} area to move during wind uplift conditions? Certainly have seen plenty of "loose" lower-pitched flanks where they abut the steeper areas over the years, loose enough where they "flap" once the roofing is removed.

Old 05-22-05, 01:07 PM
actonwang
Visiting Guest
It is a creaky kind-o-thing sound. As I said, it seems from specific spot.

Is there anyway to cure it in some way? Thanks.

Old 05-22-05, 08:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,641 Likes on 1,469 Posts
It sounds like you are describing a dormer or something... is there a piece of fascia or soffit that is loose, perhaps blowing up and down in the wind?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: