Ridge vent admitting tree debris

Old 05-24-05, 09:09 AM
tri4home
Visiting Guest
Ridge vent admitting tree debris

My attic had almost no ventilation. I had the roofer install a continuous ridge vent and extra soffit vents. Now ventilation is great, but the vent allows quite a bit of debris (seeds and "cotton") from the elm and cottonwood trees in the backyard to enter my attic space.
It does NOT leak water. Everything is bone-dry, even after a driving rain, but the tree debris is a pain to deal with.

Is this normally experienced with a ridge vented attic?
If not, how can this be fixed?

-tri4home

Old 05-24-05, 12:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is it an all metal ridge vent?

Old 05-24-05, 12:49 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There are so many styles of ridgevent out there now it's hard to keep up with all of them. Many styles are prone to problems by shear design, I've seen some style of ridgevent where rain/snow is easily driven up through the ridegvent system and the pricey'er stuff or different style/design ridgevents that have no problems at all.

You may want to go ouot to a homecenter and see for yourself the different style so ridegvent systems and talk to the contactor desk to see what thy're selling that has the least amount of troubles, as a contractor the stores I buy from recommend this or that and count on our (contractors) feedback for knowledgible first hand accounts of how the product installs/performs out in the feild so they can better inform you the consumer.

I think design of what you have is the problem, and a different ridge vent may be the answer. You will have to install new ridge cap as well, so keep that in mind.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: