more roof advice

Old 05-24-05, 09:43 PM
alkhomeowner
Visiting Guest
more roof advice

how many layers of shingles can be on a roof? are the rows supposed to be staggered? are does it matter how they are layed down?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-05, 04:56 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
usually 1 row is used
but you can go 2 row max for the weight of the truss or rafter.
espacially is there lots of snow 1 row max

Old 05-25-05, 01:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roof Advice

You should really only have 1 layer of shingles on your roof. Some people have 2 layers and some 3 layers. Here is the problem. The first problem is the weight. The trusses or rafters were not designed for multiple layers of shingles. Too much weight will cause a roof to sag. Bad deal. Also when re-roofing if you do not do a complete tear off, you cannot inspect your roof boards to see if they are in good shape and no decay. I will not do a roof over for anyone. If they insist, I walk away. Too many hidden problems with multiple layers. Good Luck

Old 05-25-05, 07:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building departments only allow 2 layers nowdays. Recovers are not a good idea. I don't know what you mean about "staggered". I will say that the roofer doing a recover better pay attention to his exposures....if not, he will end up with UGLY lines across the roof periodically, where the old shingles line up with the new shingles. Use the same exposure as the old shingles and short expose the first few courses to get in the middle, so they don't line up.
Jim