Flashing at Siding Repair Problem

Old 05-27-05, 08:46 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flashing at Siding Repair Problem

Hello,
I'm attempting to stop a leak that goes under the wood siding of an exterior wall that meets a very low pitched patio roof. The eave of the patio roof meets the siding, and it looks like there have been moisture problems there for years, since a 4 in. square area (wish I could send a photo) at the tip of where the eave meets the siding has been cut away to the sound wood and filled with some kind of bondo or something. Theres' another area several courses down just under this spot that is bondoed as well. I guess my first question is how do you flash a low pitch roof where it climbs along a wall with wood siding? If you flash over the roofing material, since the roof comes off the wall perpendicular, you have moisture entry problems, so do you flash under and seal it off somehow, like a valley on a roof? The second question is: how do you get the flashing to end properly at the tip of the eave where it meets a wood sided wall? On this area, it ends pretty much where the drip edge dies into the siding, as if the drip edge is on top of the flashing and there's lots of caulking. I'm thinking maybe I should cut the flashing there where it's under the drip edge and continue it out over the siding a bit by slipping another piece under it and adding some silicone. Any hints, and is there a way to show a picture, which would probably explain better than me? Thanks

Old 05-28-05, 08:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,974 Upvotes on 1,770 Posts
you can share pictures by uploading them to a site like yahoo, then paste the link here. There's all kinds of web sites for photo sharing. I think there's also some FAQ's here on photos.

You're right, a photo would help make it clear- we'd be glad to help, but it sounds hard to picture.

Old 05-29-05, 04:45 AM
E
This is a common problem {if I understrand what you're saying}. When guys are flashing the wall in with the roof, and the step flashing terminates at the wall rather than running out passed the wall due to the design, many times the first step flashing is allowed to simply run behind the siding at the eve. Sometimes it's caulked, sometimes not.

If the first step flashing is snipped in such a way that the side of it is allowed to come out pass and around the wall, it still requires a dab of caulking, but is still better than the whole thing allowing water to run behind, and a tiny dab of caulking is far less likely to open up than a big gob of it.

If this is your problem, it can easily be corrected after the fact but will require that you remove several shingles to access it.

Old 05-30-05, 08:16 PM
G
More Clarification Please

Hello, Here are two pics of the problem area.
http://www.kingcon.com/gandiatodd/im...%20problem.jpg
http://www.kingcon.com/gandiatodd/im...oblem%20cu.jpg
There is something not evident in the photos. First, I don't think there's step flashing here. It's a very low pitch and it's roll roofing, so they tarred in one piece of flashing all the way up under the roofing, I guess in the way you would treat a valley. I'm wondering first what this should have looked like in the first place had it been done correctly. I'm not really clear on E. Dodge's description "If the first step flashing is snipped in such a way that the side of it is allowed to come out pass and around the wall"- could you please clarify what you mean here? Can somebody send a link to a photo of what this should look like, or try to describe it again? Thanks, CT

Old 05-31-05, 04:25 AM
G
Another Question

Does this flashing detail make sense in this situation? http://www.buildiq.com/extfin403.htm

Old 05-31-05, 06:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,974 Upvotes on 1,770 Posts
Not much time to write a long reply, but the first few step flashings that are currently under your shingles and behind your siding need to be removed, and they need to be reinstalled on top of that cedar siding once you replace it. (while still being tucked underneath the metal shingles up the roof. - as you inser the point of that new piece if siding, it needs to go behind the step flashings, and then the rest of the step flashings will be on top of the siding, not behind it.) Then a counter flashing needs to be installed over those step flashings (over that one piece of siding, but under the one above it).

The other way to do this is to just replace that first step shingle with a kick out flashing that will direct any water running down the step shingles back out toward the d-edge.

time to go!

Old 06-01-05, 12:38 PM
seantheroofer
Visiting Guest
a quick question does step flashing pay more in youre area? in florida we use 4x6x10 we get paid 1 dollar per stick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: