GAF Timberline Ultra Roofing (Advanced Question)

Old 06-02-05, 03:23 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question GAF Timberline Ultra Roofing (Advanced Question)

I know this may be a bit advanced for these forums, but I'm hoping...

When doing a roof job as follows:

Timberline Ultra Shingle.
Cobra Snow Country Ridge Vent.
Timbertex Ridge Cap Shingle.

A) What size nails, and how many must or should be used on each ridge cap shingle to meet GAF's Golden Pledge requirements?
How should the End caps be secured? How many nails, etc.

B) When the ice shield (Weather Watch) is being rolled out, as it is rolled out and done so in a manner that isn't straight, is it acceptable to unstick the crooked portion, cut the material, overlap it, and then continue rolling it out? Is this acceptable wth in GAF's Golden Pledge parameters? Is this something that should be worried about or is it a non-issue.

C) When a small section of roof decking, approximately 4"x24" is removed (to patch a hole left by an abandoned plumbing vent) and replaced is the following acceptable within GAF's Golden Pledge parameters (or your comments in general): Replace it with a piece of exterior grade plywood that is not as thick as the original decking and then build up to the original thickness of the decking with what may have been either Shingle-Mate or Weather Watch (unsure, but believe most likely Shingle-Mate). Or can this cause leakage problems down the road.

Thank you very very much.

Pete

Old 06-02-05, 03:29 PM
Not sure any "do-it-yourselfers" in here would be comfortable answering these. Unless there is a certified GAF installer that knows all of the ins-and-outs of the program, any advise that we give you may actually void parts of your warranty if incorrect.
In my opinion, the only real answer that you can rely on is by calling the GAF technical services department.

But then.....just maybe someone in here can help.

Good luck.

Old 06-02-05, 03:49 PM
O
True...

I think I may agree with you, but some of the folks on here *are* the pros... so you never do know.

Old 06-02-05, 04:56 PM
Pete,
First of all you will find that very little is "Required" by the manaufacture, The term most used is "Recommended".
Standard practice is often defined as "recommended" by the NRCA - National Roofing Contractors Assoc. - Roofing and Waterproofing Manual 6th edition)

Anyway...
A) Fasteners should penetrate 3/4 inch into or just thru (points visible protuding on underside) whatever wood substrate it is being fastened to...no matter the roofing material.

B)Perfectly aceptable; as long as they have the minimum side lap requirement. Usually a minimum of 6". Most manuf. say their self adhesive underlayment is "re-positionable"...read between the lines here...IT DOSENT STICK WORTH A SH*#! ( A true Ice and Water Sheild is NOT re-positionable, once its down....its stuck!

C) Fastening of roofing sheathing falls under the APA now called "The Engineered Wood Association"...if the substrate is thinner, and they are trying to fill in the thickness...Thats just plain LAZY ..and...UNACCEPTABLE. Tell them to go spend the $15 to get a sheet of the right thickness of material.

Good Luck!

Old 06-02-05, 06:14 PM
O
Thanks for the tips... actually with the GAF Golden Pledge there are A LOT of guidelines (about 40) that have to be met to get the guarantee, but I really need a person that knows this and it ain't easy... but thanks again for the tips.

Pete

Old 06-03-05, 04:52 AM
Hope you didnt pay too much extra for it...
Its still an industry standard pro-rated warranty.

and your decking is part of the structure of your home...nothing to do with the "roofing system"

Good Luck

Old 06-03-05, 05:32 AM
O
Originally Posted by shinstr
Hope you didnt pay too much extra for it...
Its still an industry standard pro-rated warranty.

and your decking is part of the structure of your home...nothing to do with the "roofing system"

Good Luck
I think we're talking about two different things. There is nothing industry standard about the Golden Pledge. But thank again for your thoughts.

Old 06-03-05, 09:08 AM
Just making sure you not falling victim to a slick salesman, and being promised protection that cannot be backed up.

It is a very good warranty based upon it is the first to offer improper application coverage. Many others have followed suit.

However...

My comments were based upon review of the warranty that revealed the the standard "at the sole option of (insert manufacturer name)" , exception throughout the warranty.

your question ....
"When a small section of roof decking, approximately 4"x24" is removed (to patch a hole left by an abandoned plumbing vent) and replaced is the following acceptable within GAF's Golden Pledge parameters?"...
The decking is part of the structure of your home and does not fall under the responsibility of the "roof systems" manufacturer.

Just be wary, and do not attemp to direct the methods and actions by the contractor or you risk taking full responsibility for the installation yourself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: