Hip Jack Rafters & Common Rafters and Joists Below

Old 06-05-05, 10:24 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Hip Jack Rafters & Common Rafters and Joists Below

Small porch area that is a 3/4 (three quarter) hip roof. (The rear side of the hip is up against another wall of the house (the ridgeboard is thus nailed to the side of the main house).

Nothing supported above the porch (one level).

Going from the top of the OUTSIDE (top plate) wall (resting and nailed), to the inside wall we have joists overhead that at one time had a ceiling (in some spots these joists are 16" oc, and in other places they are missing. These joists are approximately 5' long. Natuarally above these joists are the hip jack rafters and the common rafters. What I want to know if I can remove these JOISTS to make a cathedral ceiling in this small porch. Do the joists support the walls from moving (ir or out) (or are the joists there soley to support the ceiling that was once there.) or is that done by the rafters?

If they can't be removed, can they moved upward, and if so, how much so.

Any other ideas on how I can get more ceiling height in this space would be a big help.

Thank you very much.

Pete

Old 06-05-05, 03:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,949 Upvotes on 1,749 Posts
The rafters you are thinking about moving do tie the walls to the house. They basically keep the hip rafter and hip jack rafters from exerting an outward push on the walls. However, since your porch sounds to be very small- only 5 ft wide, I don't think you'd have a problem if you removed them.

The strongest section of your roof is the hip section, since it has a wall that ties it to the house. If your hip jack rafters turn into common rafters and continue along a long span of roof, that is where the outward thrust would be the greatest. But if the span is 5ft, I doubt it would be a problem if they were totally removed, since the ridge board can't sink. We'll see what others think, especially if this gets moved to the framing forum.

Last edited by XSleeper; 06-05-05 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-06-05, 04:21 AM
O
Ahhh... I kept looking for the framing forum, then realized it was in the interior section of the boards... yes, moving it would be a great idea.

I also want to correct my explanation. It is more of a half hip roof. I will try and draw something and then upload it for review. If I was smart I would have taken a picture for you kind folks... but let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-13-05, 02:57 PM
O
Bump (Please)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: