Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Connect Flashing from metal building to asphalt shingled roof

Old 06-06-05, 09:40 AM
rogda1
Visiting Guest

I recently purchased a metal building(50'x100') that has a screened in porch attached to the rear.The problem is the porch was completed but no flashing was installed.When it rains,water runs down the groves on the metal siding into the porch.I can't figure how to attach the smooth flashing to the metal siding since the siding is not flat(lap siding) . Any suggestions how I can fix this ?

Old 06-06-05, 02:07 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you can identify the exact profile of your siding, you might be able to purchse 10 or 8 ft. long flashings made just for that profile. It would still require some final termination consisting of caulking or some other sealant, but at least the gabing holes would be "filled".

Companies that manufacturer steel siding and roofing usually offer a wide range of profiles...but they seem to be to be "standardized" in terms of the dimensions. So, if you can measure the width of the ribs, how deep they are...are they angled in or right angled...are the panels set at 36in. centers, etc. etc....then scetch it out on paper, the profile that is, then go online and search among steel panel manufactuirers. This is how I've been able to locate specific panels myself. Once the panel is located, see what accessories they offer. Then find out who, in your area, carries what you need.

Another way to solve this, without all the leg work, would be to simply make a template out of cardboard which fits the profile of you siding, then transfer that to a section or more of 4 by 4, or 5 by 5, etc. steel, then cut it out to fit. Then install 4 by 4 steel flashing to the roof deck, install the other one...running over the first and against the paneled wall....with your newly cut profile fitting nice and snug. Or, if you have a Brake or Bender, you could make it all in one piece.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: