Leaky basement due to FAST moving H2O

Old 06-06-05, 08:06 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaky basement due to FAST moving H2O

Here's my issue:

We have water coming through our basement walls. The area is located directly under our front door. During a heavy downpour the water will run over the gutter and pour through the mosaic bricks that make up the entranceway.

This area is where the two roofs connect, the gutter seems fine and is not blocked. Is there someway to extend the gutter? I have come up with an idea to just concrete this area to make it impermeable to the water. Are there any better ways to address this situation?

Old 06-07-05, 05:21 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
install an extension to the drain pipe to move the water away from the house and slope the terrain also away from the house foundation should do it

Old 06-07-05, 08:08 AM
C
You say your gutters are not blocked, but what about the downspouts? After purchasing our home, I found one of my downspouts (near where a tree limb overhung the house) was clogged by leaves. I noticed when the gutters were overflowing that there was barely a trickle coming out of the downspout.

If your downspout is clear, you might consider replacing them with a larger size downspout that can handle a larger volume of water.

As mentioned before, definately divert the water coming out of the downspouts well away from the house.

Old 06-07-05, 08:12 AM
Wink

Run a water hose in the downspout up on the gutter full open and see if it drains??

ED

Old 06-07-05, 04:42 PM
P
Thanks for the input.

The gutters and the downspout are not blocked. It is only the water that comes off the 'valley' between the two roofs that overflows.

Here are some movies to illustrate the problem:

http://home.comcast.net/~dnashort/rain1.mpg

http://home.comcast.net/~dnashort/rain2.mpg

Dan

Old 06-14-05, 05:35 AM
Hi
I see your problem
you need to instal some kind of deviation from the valley to split the water running down the valley.
It's an easy fix
get a piece of aluminium the same color of your gutter let say 12 inches long by 6 inches wide
bent about 3/4 inches wide the aluminium all along the 12 in part like and L shape
them place it on the edge of the gutter and secure the L part to the gutter edge
align it facing the valley

Old 06-14-05, 06:56 AM
Keep in mind...concrete is not impermeable.
And make sure there is a good bead of sealant where the front porch slab/tile butt up against the foundation, top and sides.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: