Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

6" tall 12'x12' shed roof needs asphalt shingles or asphalt paper?

Old 06-07-05, 06:42 AM
M
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts

Hi,
I built an 8' tall shed (12'x12' wide) and put a flat roof on it. I should have consulted this forum first because the flat roof is leaking and I need to have some pitch. Because the height limitation in this great county I live in is 8.5' I have 6 more inches to play with and I intend to use all of it.
So here's what I plan to do and please let me know if there is a flaw in this plan:
1. get 5 12' long 2x6's
2. cut each of them from the halfway point on each end to meet in the middle at the top making a triangle.
3. nailing .5" plywood sheets onto the 2x6's
4. here's the main question, I was originally planning on nailing building (or roofing) paper onto the plywood and then nailing asphalt shingles onto the roofing paper. However when I went to the hardware store I noticed a variety of building (or roofing) paper which was coating with the same gravelly material found on the asphalt shingles (not sure what the name of this was) and it came in 10 sqm rolls.

question 1: if anyone is familiar with this kind of "combination shingles/roofing paper", can this take the place of both the paper and the shingles or is this just a stronger better kind of paper?

question 2: if the answer to the above is the former, what is the best way to secure it? should I just use nails because I saw some various cements, sealers, etc. and I figured some sort of liquid glue or paste that covers more area than just a few nails might be more secure.

question 3: roughly how many square feet is 10 square meters?

I certainly appreciate any advice,

tks,

-MC

Old 06-07-05, 04:10 PM
seantheroofer
Visiting Guest
are you refering to tile underlayment? or was it modifeid bituman rubber?
tlie under layment isnt reall made to be exposed to the sun for a lon period of time as it rots quickly. its priced cheap because it is. every couple of years it will need replacing, most home owners put layer after layer of it on and it really sucks to tear it off.
my choice would be a cold process of rubber, youll need a can of modifed bitumen adhesive , a roller and a handle. follow the directions on the can. oh, buy hand cleaner as this is messy if you havent done it about 15 times

Old 06-08-05, 03:59 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You might be referring to 90lb. rolled roofing. If it runs about $18-20 a roll it's 90lb. As Sean said, it's not very durable. I've found it can develop problems in the first couple of years, but it has the potential to last longer....like 5-8 years...maybe longer if it's shaded.

A better product would be the rubber mentioned {available in one large piece at you Roof Materials Wholsaler}, or one of the self-adhering granulated Modified systems {similar in appeance to the 90lb. but not a all the same thing}.

You'd need a couple rolls of 90lb., and a roll of 30lb. felt.

or

a couple rolls of the self-adhering modified membrane with the nailable base sold with it

or

a piece of rubber, 15ft. by 20 ft.. The rubber comes in 10 or 20 ft. widths, so in order to use one piece with no seams you'd need the 20ft. wide section.

In addition to the actual roof material/covering, you'll also need the fasteners, flashings, adhesive, etc. etc. depending of exactly what you decide to go with.

When you decide which one, then ask how to install.

Old 06-08-05, 07:10 AM
M
I think I'll go with the garden variety paper and shingles

that's all the homedepot has and while the other building materials store would have the rubber, they're only open until 5 on weekdays which means I have to jump through hoops (schedule-wise) in order to make it there at 4:45 which gives me a whole 15 minutes to ask questions and decide, and one thing I don't have is time, the other is money

so I think I'll spend my usual Friday night taking advantage of the homedepot's later closing time and collect roofing materials. Now my only questions are:

1. what's the best way to secure the paper to the plywood?
2. what's the best way to secure the shingles to the paper?

tks,

-MC

Old 06-08-05, 03:48 PM
seantheroofer
Visiting Guest
home depot should carry every thing you need for a cold process of rubber.but anyways for shingles i would reccomend inch and a quater nails, you can buy a one pound box , for the felt use simplex or roofing nail if you desire about every two or three feet on center
follow the directions on the shingle package
i usalllay snap a bond line at 29 & 35 inches from the rake, in case thr rake is wavy
if you arent using drip edge (you should) let the shingles hang over about about a half inch
buy hook blades for your razor kinfe, i think homedecoy carries them by the carpet section about 5 bucks, they cut shingles from the top easily
snap lines! if you havent done this before, on a low slope i would use a 4 & 1/2 inch exposure
good luck and be safe

Last edited by seantheroofer; 06-08-05 at 03:55 PM. Reason: misspelings
Old 06-09-05, 06:54 AM
M
so there's no glue or adhesive, just nails

thanks for the reply,

I have a box of nails just that size that I used for siding, I'll just let the shingles hang over, this shed isn't worth the effort of a drip edge/fascia, etc.

-MC

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: