Debris after Roof Replacement

Old 06-11-05, 03:39 PM
ecl
Visiting Guest
Question Debris after Roof Replacement

I am getting my shingle roof replaced for the first time. I'm not sure what my expectations for cleanliness from the roofing contractors should be. Everyone tells me roofers are the worst in terms of keeping the site clean, and cleaning up afterwards.

What should I expect to see around the perimeter of the house?

Assuming they completely stripped and refinished the roof what should I expect inside my attic in terms of debris?

How do roofers typically limit debris around the house perimeter or getting into the attic?

Thx

Old 06-11-05, 06:54 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you have a reputable contractor....NOTHING. This includes use of magnetic bar-wheel to get all of the old nails out of the lawn. It should be as it was when your roofer arrived.
Jim

Old 06-11-05, 07:22 PM
Ecl

I don't know how others do it, but I will tell you how we do it. First we tarp all of the outside walls and the gouund. After strippping the roof, we empty all the tarps on the ground. We then relay the tarps. We leave the walls tarped incase a shingle would blow against the house siding and leave a mark.
After the whole job is done, we rake the gound as well as magnetize the whole ground and yard. Hope this helps.

Old 06-12-05, 05:08 AM
ecl
Visiting Guest
How about inside the attic?

When a roofer completely strips and reinstalls a shingle roof, they strip it down to the roofing planks right?

That means debris, nails and powdered shingle debris can get through the gaps between planks into the attic.

How does a roofer prevent or limit that from happening?

Should I expect some debris inside the attic?

Thx

Old 06-12-05, 07:36 AM
ecl

That kind of depends on your roof. Most roofs will be solid sheeted, so there are no cracks. However in older homes, there are some with plank roofs with 1/2 to 1" gaps. These are roofs that had shakes on them. Yes, if you have planks with cracks, you had better put a tarp up on the inside of your home. The roofer is responsible for the outside, you are responsible for the inside. If you have them tarp it, they will charge you. Good Luck

Old 06-12-05, 08:44 AM
ecl
Visiting Guest
thanks

Thanks, that explains it. Yes I've got a circa 1920 Sears kit home. It had already been replaced with a shingle roof a couple decades ago. But my jaw dropped when I saw the mess in my attic a week after the roof was replaced. Everything is covered in roofing debris and nails.

I suppose the roofer could have warned me, but I just wanted to check if they had done something wrong to produce such a huge mess in the attic.

Old 06-12-05, 09:02 AM
ecl

They probably did not even know that they made a mess. Have a good day.

Old 06-13-05, 04:17 AM
E
Stripping is a messy affair. But it should be contained as much as possible, the grounds should be picked up, the gutters should be cleaned, your yard should be AT LEAST as clean as before they started.
Tarps can help, they can also burn the lawn on hot days.

Care should be taken to prevent damage to siding, gutters, windows, flowers, cars, people, animals, etc.

Some damage to some of the siding installed over the last 30 years is unavoidable due to the fact it's only a step or 2 above cardboard. When reflashing these areas, damage is easy, given that it's falling apart anyway, and is starting to resemble paper more than any kind of hardboard.

We do run accross a couple in a hundred customers who nearly freak out over 2 or 3 shingles or pieces of felt which have blown or fallen off the roof.....while thew job is ongoing. Please realize that even with the utlost in care taken, stuff does fly. But in the end it should be clean.

Old 06-13-05, 11:05 AM
I could tell you stories.....about the countless number of attics I have crawled around in with a trash bag collecting debris after a tear-off, especially wood shingles/shakes.

I would say some debris is to be expected. Large quantities are NOT your responsibility.

Good Luck!

Old 06-13-05, 12:43 PM
ecl

Shinstr is correct. Large amounts are the roofers responsibility. I was referring to little stuff.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: