leaky roof or stink pipe problem?

Old 06-12-05, 01:38 PM
wilson204
Visiting Guest
leaky roof or stink pipe problem?

We just had a some major rain storms pass by and now I'm noticing water in the basement. In the basement you can see it running down the main drainage pipe for the bathroom upstairs and that pipe continues up out through the roof (so I presume this is the "stink pipe"). There is no leaking in the bathroom or any other room, everything drains fine. I notice the pipe that goes out the roof has an open end, there is no cap or anything on it. Is this okay? I climbed into the attic and looked to see if the roof is leaking around the pipe but it is not. Could water enter the pipe from outside, and if so could that explain the water? If the attic appears dry does this rule out a leaky roof?

I'm a total novice here with regards to work around the house so hopefully this place can provide some answers for me.

Old 06-13-05, 11:17 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would check the boot that flashes the pipe into the roofing system. If it is a neoprene (black/rubber) boot, look where it fits around the pipe. These are famous for drying out and cracking and allowing water to follow the pipe down.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: