Tyvek

Old 06-15-05, 01:30 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tyvek

I am looking at a house in TN and the builder is saying that Tyvek is not necessary. It seems to me that it would be beneficial under vinyl siding to keep the sheathing from getting soggy over time. Am I correct? Also the builder said that he "wraps the house from the inside", but I'm not sure what this means. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

Old 06-15-05, 05:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 995 Votes on 906 Posts
Whether or not housewrap is REQUIRED depends on the state and county you live in. *Common sense* would indicate that it is absolutely essential. In states where the 2003 International Residential Code is relied upon as the basis for their rules and regulations, housewrap is REQUIRED. (see table R703.4)

Builders who want to skip housewrap are only saving themselves the time and expense, and down the road they will be costing you money when you discover rotton sheathing and windows due to water infiltration.

Old 06-16-05, 03:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Make him use tyvek. Tyvek waterproofs the outside of the house but also lets it breath. Your builder is talking about a moisure barrier installed with the wall insulation. They are 2 different beasts.

Old 06-16-05, 06:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 429 Votes on 383 Posts
I can't imagine anyone installing any siding with out tyvek,roofing felt,stryrofoam,etc. IMO it is always best to install a moisture barrier on the inside but that's no excuse not to do the outside right.

In my part of tenn, in the county, bldg codes are almost non existant and it is nice not to be bothered with endless inspections BUT you still want your home built right.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: