Discarding Slate Roofing

Old 06-18-05, 12:44 AM
praglen
Visiting Guest
Discarding Slate Roofing

I have three houses with 125 year old slate roofs(I already replaced one). It is messy, expensive and tenant-upsetting to throw the old slate into and around the sides and front of these houses(3 feet on the side and porches, trees in the front, making a dumpster placement impossible.
Since these houses are raised New Orleans homes, I'm wondering if just pushing the thrown on the sides slates under the houses - there is 24 feet x 60 feet of of flat dirt underneath each house - wouldn't kill two birds with one stone. Getting rid of the slate easily and quickly and acting as a moisture barrier at the same time.
What do you think?

Old 06-19-05, 05:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Another option is to salvage them.
There are firms that salvage historic slate roofing. They willl come remove it and crate it and take it away....and even pay you for it.

Good Luck!

Old 06-19-05, 08:05 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree..........there are companies which sell, for boatloads of money, old "used" slate. After all, slate must be millions of years old before it's ever used as a "new" roof.

Old 06-24-05, 05:30 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,227 Upvotes on 1,987 Posts
Pack up the slate and ship it to me. I was up in CT this past weekend and they were re-roofing an old building. It broke my heart to hear all that slate hitting the bottom of a dumpster.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: