Plastic around foundation to get water out of basement?

Old 06-21-05, 06:24 AM
Paladyr
Visiting Guest
Plastic around foundation to get water out of basement?

I'm working on getting water out of our basement and was wondering if it would be a good idea to create a slope at the side of the house that's leaking by

1. digging about 6 inches down directly against the foundation and then a foot about 6 feet out.
2. Laying down a layer of 6mm plastic to create a water barrier.
3. Covering the plastic with dirt to create a dirt slope on top.

We wouldn't be able to grow much but at this point we really don't care. We just want water out of the basement. Thx!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-05, 06:36 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
i
i would dig along the wall about 12 inches deep and place 5/8 gravel about 5 inches place drainnage pipe with mess cover on it to prevent glogging and run it along the foundation and slope the drain to the back.
then cover the pipe with dirt and make sure the slope carries the water away from the foundation

Old 06-21-05, 06:50 AM
Paladyr
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by pgtek
i
i would dig along the wall about 12 inches deep and place 5/8 gravel about 5 inches place drainnage pipe with mess cover on it to prevent glogging and run it along the foundation and slope the drain to the back.
then cover the pipe with dirt and make sure the slope carries the water away from the foundation

Sounds like a good idea... Does the plastic idea sound like a bad one?

Old 06-21-05, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't think the plastic will help

"Does the plastic idea sound like a bad one?"

I don't think it will help at all. In fact it may trap moisture in the soil but this is only a guess. I really don't have any experience with anyone trying this.

Old 06-22-05, 04:42 PM
Lyn B.
Visiting Guest
I think a french drain, as pgtek suggested, would be the way to go. It's what is usually suggested for situations like yours. Why go to all the bother of experimenting when the tried and true would be, at least, just as easy and probably easier? Google "french drain" and several links with instructions should come up.

Lyn

Old 06-23-05, 06:58 AM
Paladyr
Visiting Guest
i thought french drains were supposed to be at the bottom of the foundation near the footer though? Couldn't water from 2 feet away from the house get down in the soil and travel to the foundation wall? I'm thinking a french drain at the end of the plastic would be even more effective than just a french drain against the foundation wall. Thoughts?

Old 06-23-05, 11:09 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
my 2 cents

hi
any dainnage in a plastic pipe is call french drain.
the real French Drain is a like a septic tank holder
8'x8'x4' will with gravel that a french drain.

but I guess french drain came from some English contractor that saw a pittyful drainnage and said must be frenchman done that

pg

Old 06-23-05, 08:52 PM
Lyn B.
Visiting Guest
Quit bein' so dang picky about what the figgity fartin' ditch with rocks and a pipe is called, Pg!!!

Lyn

Old 06-24-05, 07:23 AM
Paladyr
Visiting Guest
Haha settle down :-P.

The plot thickens... Last night I was digging up some more of the giant shrubs that are right against the side of the house that is leaking (could be one of the problems) and I discovered that the gutter in the back is being drained by a pipe in the ground that runs about 1.5 feet away from the house. I think it may have already been busted (so water could be leaking out of that) so perhaps that is causing a leak. Since I have to replace it, I was thinking why not combine the french drain with this gutter drain. Would that be too much water going through one drain? It would carry the water from the side of the house as well as the gutter in the back. Thanks.

Old 06-24-05, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You may have blocked drain tile beneath the basement floor. I have knocked holes in basement floors and snaked out muck and roots etc, to clear drain tile with good results. The biggest challenge is knowing where to start.

Installing sub-surface drainage at 12" would be a lot of effort for little results.
You are correct that the drainage should be at the the base of the wall. If your not going to dig up the foundation...don't bother. Creating a grade away from the foundation on a 2' to 3' perimeter and ensuring all guttering and such discharge well away from the foundation, would accomplish the same as installing piping at a 12" level.

Good Luck!