Gutter Covers worth it?

Old 06-22-05, 05:44 PM
Gutter Covers worth it?

Hello, I am in minnesota and wondering if you think the gutter covers are worth it to keep sludge/leaves out.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-05, 10:08 AM
Well, yes and no
Depends on the type of trees, you have. Pine needles tend to get caught in the screens, then there is the un-sightly pile of junk on top of the gutters instead of in them.
In my experience the muck seems to build up in there anyway and now you have to remove the screens to hose out the gutters. I have huge pines and oaks on my property, and have given up on a maintenance free solution.
I have finally admitted to myself that i just have too get up there with heavy gloves on and a water hose with a high pressure nozzle 3 to 4 times a year ...or as needed and clean them out. When ever i notice thing are starting to pile up in the valleys, I know its time.

Not fun, but it's not too bad, it only takes an hour or so to clean them out.

Old 06-24-05, 12:02 PM
My house is a 2 story with the upper gutters close to 20 ft. off the ground. I cleaned out the first floor gutters but decided against attempting the second floor. I had hallett gutter cover installed last summer. These do not have screens to collect debris. They are a solid cover that causes water to flow into the gutter due to the surface tension of water. Most leaves, etc. wash right on off. I have noticed a few leaves staying on top of the cover at times but more rain or some wind will take them off. I do have a couple of valleys that have collected some debris. It is fairly easy to clean these.

I am very pleased with the results and would do it again.

Edited gutter cover brand.

Last edited by hdtvluvr; 06-24-05 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-24-05, 02:37 PM
Trim Overhanging Limbs

Gutter Helmet is one way to go. But a cheaper solution may be to trim overhanging limbs if you can. That will most of the debris landing on your roof.

Old 06-25-05, 04:53 AM
I just had a guy quote a K-Gaurd gutter system for my home. I currently have screens, and they are a real pain to clean, its like the junk gets glued to the screen.
I went to clean my gutters last weekend and found that not only was the clogged gutter screen causing erosion of the ground under my overhang, but the water backing up has caused water damage and rot to some facia board. I didnt want to spend the money, but if I dont who knows what will happen next.
The K-Guard seemed to be the best...but man it seems awfully expensive.

Old 06-25-05, 06:52 AM
Gutter screens or the newer fangled covers all help. But I don't think anything works 100%.
Some people absolutely need something like this however, or the gutters fill up every month.

Old 06-25-05, 07:17 AM
Stevetra,

If your gutters are in good shape check out the Hallett Gutter covers. You can buy this online and do it yourself or have an installer do it for you. If I had a 1 story house I would have done it myself.

Old 06-25-05, 09:01 AM
Well the gutters are still hanging, but they are in bad shape. I now have problems behind them. and it isnt getting any better. I got 2 quotes to install K-Guard or Gutter Guard.
The guy says he will replace all the wood, wrap the facia board in aluminium and install in a vinyl soffit.
The best quote so far is $5800
He has in writing that if the wood damage is less than he estimated he will refund that, and also has in writing that anything above $5800 will be his expense.
The contract I am considering allows me to withhold payment until I am 100% satisfied.
There are plenty of pro customer clauses in the deal...but its a bunch of money.

Old 07-07-05, 03:57 PM
Upvotes Received: 3
Gutter Covers

I put up Lowes Plastic gutter covers myself on 3 houses last year. THAT was the best favor I ever did for myself (I got to clean them all the time) At all three locations I have different types of trees and they all manage to dump there own private version of tree trash about twice a year (pine needles all year) and they have worked great for two years now. The tiny bits of trash that get thru the openings just wash down with the water. You COULD have lowes install new gutters and repairs for you, along with their covers...I bet you would be surprised at how economical they are.

Old 03-29-06, 06:10 AM
Best Stuff Ever !!

When we got our quote from the helmet people I nearly fell of of my chair. Hence the internet research ensued. We finally decide to go with a product from GutterStuff.Net

Man, what a good decision that was. From all that I could gather from my research, the plastic covers and helmet systems were ok, if you lived in a warm part of the country, but alot of people were having trouble in the cold areas during the winter months. The plastic freezes and gets brittle, then cracks or breaks and fall off, or gets pushed off by the ice dams that they created

This stuff that we got, is excellent. It some kind of rubber/foam filter thingy that fits down inside, so it blow off, can't crack, won't clog, and they guarenteed it for 25 years !! For about 1/3 of the price of the other guys

LOVE IT, I'm gonna tell everyone I know about it, and some that I don't.

Check 'em out:

Moderator note: Removed multiple listing of commercial website. Post starting to look like an advertisment which is not permitted in the DIY Forums.
Poster note: Added reference to commercial site for clarification. Post starting to look to generic and made no reference to the guys that sold me MY GutterStuff.

Last edited by PhasterAndHehl; 06-10-06 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-29-06, 04:17 PM
Gutter covers

I originally wrote about the plastic covers I bought from a "major home building supply store" and the great success I had with them. I was not too bright, and installed them on a roof that really should have been re shingled a year ago so the covers had to be removed and reinstalled by the roofer this past December. I had no damage, and no losses even though we had as bad a winter as we usually get here. I was just outside resetting them, as the roofers werent as fussy about how they look as I was, and Im very happy with the durability of these. I would recommend them to anyone.

Old 08-02-08, 11:51 AM
I bought the Hallet covers, but found them unsatisfactory. I live in North Carolina. In the gulley washers we have, the water jumps the slot and pours over the edge. I still have to have them cleaned several times a year and they're a real nuisance to clean as you have to take out 2 screws and wiggle the section back and forth to get it off then struggle with the section to get it to slide back into the section next to it before rescrewing it in place. I don't know what the answer is, but for my money Hallet isn't it. I'm considering taking them all down, but don't know what to try next. Part of my house is 3 stories, so I have to find someone brave enough to get up there.

Old 08-03-08, 05:15 AM
gutter covers

Wow, I didnt know people could still get to my old posts! Regardless, I still stand on my recommendations for the ones I did in the previous posts. When we get those gulley washers, the water goes over the slot on those too, but if the gutters were plugged and even if they aren't the water still will go over the top if it rains hard enough. Mine are up two stories, and I put screws in the high ones, but the lower ones are just set in place per the directions. Try a few on a lower one, and make up your own mind. Im still happy.

Old 08-03-08, 06:49 AM
In my experience with various screen and guard type products, success seems to depend a good deal on a combination of the screen material and the kind of debris you are trying to screen - what works well for leaves from an oak may not work well with needles from a pine, and vice versa.

Of the various products I've tried, this seems to be the best for typical Chicago conditions:

- IG2™, the Pine Needle Gutter Guard

Though intended by the manufacture specifically to deal with pine needles, this material also does an excellent job with other types types of leafs, seeds and twigs. If properly installed virtually no debris gets into the gutter and the wind does a good job of clearing debris is off the top of the screen. The material handles occasional periods of heavy flow well, and it is able to survive the icing conditions that often occur here.

About the only maintenance these installation seem to require is occasional cleaning at very limited specific locations that are not scoured clean by the wind, but as the material prevents entry of debris into the gutters, downspouts leaders if properly installed, this can almost always be done with garden hose from the ground or a ladder.

As Swistun is a local company I've taken advantage of the fact that I can have the screens installed and guaranteed by the manufacturer, but they do sell the product to end-users and installers, and assuming you follow the directions there is little more difficulty installing this product than most other screens.

------------

BTW, as someone who regularly is up on roofs and ladders near these various types of products I'd make one other point: once any of them become damaged they often create an ideal nesting situation for stinging insects, and you need to be very careful when cleaning and servicing them.

Old 08-03-08, 04:15 PM
Gutter Covers

That is an interesting idea (a cover for pine needles) Since the plastic covers I use don't require screws, it made for a faster installation in my book. I now have another problem that I can use some ideas on though. I have inherited a home with a flat roof on both the house and the garage. The house roof pitches to the middle and drains down two 4" pipes that run down into the crawl space and out underground. The garage however is pitched one direction and the rain water all hits the gutter in one spot even though it runs the length of the roof (sagging and settleling) the gutter has to extend out from the wall with wooden extensions, and I cannot slide the plastic gutter under shingles like a conventional roof. This leads to a lot of water actually going off the back side of the cover and dropping to the ground. I may have to make an aluminum shield that extends from the drip edge out and down to the gutter, but Im not excited about re inventing the wheel if I dont have to. Ideas?

Old 08-04-08, 02:28 PM
@ Michael Thomas

Stinging insects, yeah been there. Just the other day.

I live in NW Indiana. My house has a plastic mesh screening on the gutters. I don't know if the previous owner had just never cleaned them out after the screen was installed or they just let a lot of stuff through. My big problem, other than the oak that hangs over part of the house (a ranch), is the things I call fuzzy strings. They come from the oak tree, and fall mostly in the spring. They apparently get through the mesh because the gutters and downspouts were all clogged up, causing water to overflow onto the ground, creating other problems. Oh, and the tiny acorns are bad too.

The pic you have looks like it would work great for keeping stuff out, but the holes look pretty darn small to let water through. Especially water like we had during last week's storms. Do they seem to let most or all of the water through into the gutter?

Old 08-04-08, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Crocostimpy View Post
Do they seem to let most or all of the water through into the gutter?
They are considerably more porous than you would expect form the pictures, and I've never had them overflow (Chicago).

They are a bit sensitive to the angle at which they are installed, so you might need to raise or lower the gutter to get optimum absorption, it's covered in the installation instructions.

Old 08-05-08, 07:00 AM
I'll look in to them. Thanks.

Old 05-26-11, 07:18 AM
Topic seems to be from a while back! But to share my own experience, gutter covers are worth your investment when you know the right type for you. I had the normal trees around -- pines, maple, etc... I tried out the ones from Hallett. Aside from being cheap, it is durable and i had it on my house for almost 4 years now.

Old 05-26-11, 06:23 PM
Gutter Covers worth it

You are right about this being an old post! I hope the guy who originally asked the question bit the bullet and installed them. I have 4 houses I installed them on myself that are still working and doing a fine job, and they are pushing 7 years now.

Old 05-30-11, 06:32 AM
I hope so that guy did too! What brand do you have installed on the 4 houses? Is it the fine steel mesh that I've heard that's doing a good job too, or the reverse curve type?