Soffit Question

Old 06-23-05, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Soffit Question

Here are two different situations. Kindly tell me which is better and why.

A)
Soffit area, is it better to leave this area NOT covered by ANY wood, and apply fully vented soffit (vinyl) with fascia. Meaning if you were to remove the soffit and fascia you would see the joist and rafter ends.

or

B)
Soffit area, is it better to have this area partially covered with wood with say a 1"-3" wide gap along the entire soffit for flow

or does it not really matter.

The reason I'm asking is because I had some work done. Initially I was told they would cut a 1" strip along the entire soffit so the roof would vent to the ridge vent. Well, the 1" didn't work out to well and it looks like hell. Now they are saying since my soffit area is so small (about 6") that it is better to just remove all the wood.

Really need some input on this one.

Thanks,
Pete

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-05, 04:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 195 Votes on 181 Posts
If it's only 6", then yes, it would be a heck of a lot easier and better to just remove all the soffit. Once they remove all the old soffit, they can stuff fiberglass in any allow ways that you do not want to vent, and leave open the ones you do want to vent. (or install foam proper vents and stuff insulation below them.

Old 06-23-05, 09:46 PM
If you remove all the wood, you can install vented soffit in vinyl, vents in the soffit panels either rectangular vents or round ones. In any event, you should make sure that any venting has screening over the openings to prevent the entry of pests such as bugs, squirrels, and bats. Houses with open rafter tails, such as mine, have stopped soffits that do not open to the outside at all. These are vented otherwise.

As narrow as your soffits are, vented vinyl soffits seem to be the best bet.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-24-05, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by chfite
venting has screening over the openings to prevent the entry of pests such as bugs, squirrels, and bats.
Ok, just so I'm clear, the vinyl soffit that is being has the tiny vent holes... would this be what you mean when you say "screening"? Or should there be screen UNDER the vinyl soffit?

Thanks,

Pete

Old 06-24-05, 12:32 PM
jv225
Visiting Guest
No there is no need for screen under the vinyl soffet. It is fine the way it is.