Removing Slate

Old 06-24-05, 10:24 PM
praglen
Visiting Guest
Removing Slate

I have four rental houses with 125 year old slate roofs(I already replaced one roof). It is messy, expensive and tenant-upsetting to throw the old slate into and around the sides and front of these houses (only 3 feet to the property line on the sides and porches, trees in the front, making a dumpster placement impossible.
Since these houses are raised New Orleans homes, I'm wondering if just pushing the thrown slate pieces on the sides under the houses - there is a footprint of 24 feet x 60 feet of flat dirt underneath each house - wouldn't kill two birds with one stone. Getting rid of the slate easily and quickly (not to mention cheaply) and having the slate act as a moisture barrier at the same time.

Last edited by praglen; 06-24-05 at 10:24 PM. Reason: need to remove my name
Old 06-25-05, 06:44 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'd STILL recomend trying to locate an outfit who might even pay you some cash for them.

Otherwise, you could do anything you want with them, as long as your local building code authority doesn't have a problem with you filling up the crawl space with them: I believe most localities require a minimum height between the dirt and the flooring. And there might be some other reason they'd have for not allowing you to do it. Better find out first, before you end up possibly having to move them AGAIN.

Old 06-26-05, 12:56 AM
praglen
Visiting Guest
Good Advice!

I doubt there's a code about this. New Orleans houses are over 100 years old, on the average, so what's underneath doesn't matter. The space is about two feet. I was thinking about both as a moisture barrier and a surface over which a repair guy could move without getting dirt, stones, etc. on him/her.

Old 06-28-05, 11:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Don't forget that broken slate is as sharp as a razor!
Also that slate is a porous stone. If kept moist, (especially in an area that is below sea level), under the house, it will most likely never fully dry out,
and will be a perfect mold/algae growing medium.

Old 06-28-05, 12:01 PM
Caspertg
Visiting Guest
I am from the New Orleans area as well and I can tell you there are in fact local companies that will buy that slate from you. The down side is, you have to take greater care to not break it when your removing it.

I don't know how the site is for giving out company names, so just look in the phone book for Commercial roofing companies and give one a call.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: