roof edge/gutter woes

Old 06-28-05, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
roof edge/gutter woes

Hi,
It seems as though the edge shingles of my roof do not extend out far enough to effectively dump all the rainwater into the gutters as they should. A lot gets to the gutters, but a lot also comes down in between the gutter and the roof edge and falls off the bottom of the gutter/roof edge in the form of large drips.

What would be the best way to extend the lip of the roof edge so that water gets into the gutter? We currently have plastic screens, so I was thinking either a 2-3" plastic strip shoved up under the s and on top of the screen...or just duct tape for the "ghetto" solution.

Thoughts? And should I be worried about any long-term damage to the wood behind the gutters?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-05, 09:37 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
get some drip cap edge from the big store
if you cant find any check with a siding company to break you some

Old 06-28-05, 05:50 PM
ok, looked into this stuff and it seemed like a good option...but there is a complication. my house was already furnished with these drip edges, but it seems that when the last owners put the gutter screens on they were all folded down to a point where they are accomlishing nothing! so..how the heck do i do this now? the metal edge is glued under the roofing felt and the screens are glued on top of it...its all stuck together and i would not be able to bend the edge back up without F'ing up my shingles...thoughts?!

Old 06-28-05, 07:19 PM
Kenzie 138

Your gutter is supposed to be behind your drip edge or gutter apron. Your drip edge or gutter apron should be inside of your gutter, not behind it.

Old 06-28-05, 07:38 PM
the drip edge hangs bent down off the roof, perpendicular to the edge of the roof and parralel to the back side of the gutter but just above it. i always envisioned these things as OVERHANGING the gutter or like you said, inside it.

the way it is now, the water would come off the roof, hit the drip edge and some will be directed into the gutter but some will fall behind. So what should I do? Cant bend it back up and ripping out and replacing would be a real *****.

as alluded to in first post, i am thinking about a strip of duct tape along the underside of shingle edge, overlapping the gutter screen...ghetto but i think it may work..thoughts?

Old 06-29-05, 01:14 PM
ive also heard that the aforementioned problem can lead to basement flooding...is this the case?

Old 06-29-05, 04:06 PM
seantheroofer
Visiting Guest
before you try duck tape you might want totry 4 or 6 inch aluminum coil stock.
it comes in 25 and 50 foot lengths. i would use the 6 inch. you can get it at most hardware stores. i would carefully try to slip under the tabs without ripping them, nail the metal in the center area of the tab ( not thru the tab but the metal), and then apply plastic roof cement under each tab including the nail you "MIGHT" be able to get away with a good caulk under the tab areas.
if you use 6 inch it should be able to get under the key way enough to prvent water from running underneath and still have a inch to half an inch to let water hit your gutter better

Old 07-01-05, 06:38 AM
hi sean,

spoke with a local handyman and he suggested basically doing what you are talking about...except he was thinking about using half shingles inserted under the edge shingles, extending out about halfway over the gutter screens...what do you think?

Also, do these solutions we're talking about run the risk of causing large quantities of runoff to actually OVERSHOOT the gutter?

In addition, also talked to a seamless gutter company whop said would solve my problems with their system for $515..whole house. Anyone know if the seamless gutter approach would be better?

So 3 options, which to recommend:

1. Extend roof edge with shingles or metal - $150
2. Additional flashing on inside of gutter/dripcap - $250
3. Install of a gutter-helmet type system $515

Last edited by keniz138; 07-01-05 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-01-05, 07:14 PM
New gutters won't necessarily solve your problem. Although about half of gutter installers seem to even bother with edge flashings, the ones they usually install are indequate to all weather conditions. Usually when I encouinter a problem like yours, the only sure fire 100% solution is to install WIDE edge flashings up under the shingles, many times requiring carefully removing the nails from the "starter" shingles and at least the first row of shingles., in order to be able to slip a 3, 4, 0r 5 in. wide edge flashings up under.
The other stuff mentioned might aleciate some of the problem however.

Old 07-05-05, 06:51 AM
hmmm, ok, well the gutter helmet type system covers the entire gutter except for teh outermost edge where water is then drawn down into the gutter.....just curious, why would this not be a "100% solution"?

edit: found out this is the Hallett Gutter Cover...anyone have exp. with these in particular?

Last edited by keniz138; 07-05-05 at 10:51 AM.