moisture in cathedral/vaulted ceiling

Old 06-29-05, 02:04 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
moisture in cathedral/vaulted ceiling

We have a split level home with a cathedral ceiling in the living room.We just moved in a year ago and the house is 35 yrs old.Over the winter we had noticed moisture stains on the wall that butts up against the cathedral ceiling.It kinda looked like someone took an extremely hot shower with no bath fan.This summer we noticed that the ceiling is somewhat moist on humid days and that wall that butts up against the ceiling sweats.We have soffit vents but I am not sure if there is any gap between the roof sheathing and the insulation.Could this cause this to happen?How much gap should there be between the roof and the insulation?Also,could this happen if the moisutre barrier was installed on the roof side and not the ceiling side?If I had to install some ventillation,what would be recommended?Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanx!!!!!!John

Old 06-29-05, 02:40 PM
Is there a ridge or turbine vent on the roof? All the soffit venting in the world means very little if there isn't anyplace at the top for the heat to go.

Old 07-02-05, 06:29 AM
J
Yes...blocked ventillation can cause this. Normally, 1-2" is enough air space. I agree with Hellrazor, ridge venting is manditory.
Jim

Old 07-05-05, 07:37 PM
M
cathedral ceiling woes

Thanks for the reply.We do have attic fans,but I will be installing a ridge vent in all ridges this year when I re-roof.Any tips on how to get a baffle between the insulation and the sheething on an existing ceiling? I thought of going in behind the fascia and either putting in baffles or just seeing if I can make a 1-2 inch gap for venting w/out using baffles if the roofing nails become a problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: