Adding Roof Vent Question

Old 06-29-05, 07:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding Roof Vent Question

Hi. I bought my home about a year ago and am finding that my second floor just gets way to hot my central air doesnt seem to help on floor 2). I have been told that a roof vent may help out. My attic is probably 20'x30' and there isnt much room to stand if any (I have never been up there because I dont fit in the hole I made). I guess maybe 4-5 feet clearance. Not sure if this info will hep, but I have soffit vents and architectural shingles. Pix of the house can be seen at http://homepage.mac.com/stavs/PhotoAlbum10.html

Questions I have:

1) Will a roof vent make a difference?
2) Who installs these-roofers (some people told me roofers just do roofs)
3) Approximate cost of installation and parts
4) Any other suggestions to let the heat escape from the attic. I dont believe they insulated it very well.

Thanks in advance!

Stavs

Old 06-30-05, 06:51 AM
Caspertg
Visiting Guest
1) Will a roof vent make a difference?

Yes, as long as the soffit is vented it will help. Its almost pointless to have one vented and not the other.

2) Who installs these-roofers (some people told me roofers just do roofs)

Roofers install them, although in my area its hard to find a roofing company interested in such a small job. If you see a roofing truck around, stop and ask if any of them are interested in side work. The pro's are you will get it done cheaper and probably quicker. The cons are they will not be insured.

3) Approximate cost of installation and parts

$40 - $50 per turbine vent. If it where my house and there was currently no ventilation from the roof I would probably add 2. Labor is hard to say. One guy can install 2 of them in an hour, but most roofers will have a min. "truck" fee.

4) Any other suggestions to let the heat escape from the attic. I dont believe they insulated it very well.

Adding the vents and some batt insulation are your cheapest bets

Old 06-30-05, 03:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the answers and am looking forward to getting this done!

Stavs

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: