plywood deck over slats

Old 07-01-05, 10:21 AM
tmfaler
Visiting Guest
plywood deck over slats

I'm going to be replacing my wood shingles with asphalt shingles. After I strip the old shingles off, I was going to put down a plywood deck over the slats. My question is: with the slats taking up most of the open space, do I have to line up the edges of the plywood with the roof trusses? It won't be a problem on most of the roof, but I have one section where the distance between the trusses is about 30" on center and if I could just nail it to the slats, it would make life easier.

Old 07-01-05, 10:46 AM
jv225
Visiting Guest
It's fine to just nail your plywood to the slats.

Old 07-01-05, 06:07 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I second the previous poster. Have done many of these "redecks" and there's no real benifit to lining up the plywood over the rafters. Just make sure you nail, or staple {using a deck stapler} every 6 inches on the perimiter edges and at least 1ft. centers, or more, throughout the field of each sheet.

Old 07-02-05, 09:47 AM
tmfaler
Visiting Guest
thanks

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Old 07-03-05, 08:50 AM
RBRenos
Visiting Guest
H-Clips

I agree with the others about just nailing to the strips but where ever you a plywood edge that spans more the a foot between strips either vertically or horizontally you should use h-clips to ensure that the plywood edges butted together do not seperate or cause "soft spots" in the decking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: