Discrepency in year rating of delivered shingles

Old 07-01-05, 09:14 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Discrepency in year rating of delivered shingles

Hello,

A friend is having a roofing company re-roof his house with IKO shingles, the "Cambridge 30" variety. They did the tear off and tarpapering today, and placed the shingle packages on the roof for installation tomorrow.

When I went over there, I noticed that there were two packages in green that said "IKO Marathon 20", while all of the other ones were red and said "IKO Cambridge 30".

What legitimate reason would the contractor have for using two packages of the 20 year shingles?

Thanks,

Jon

Old 07-02-05, 01:41 AM
jv225
Visiting Guest
I would say you have nothing to worry about. I don't really use IKO's too often but those are probably 3 tabs that they will be using for hips.

Old 07-02-05, 04:24 AM
They could be cutting them for the ridge capping or using them for starters. Tell him to ask them whats going on.

Old 07-02-05, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by jv225
I would say you have nothing to worry about. I don't really use IKO's too often but those are probably 3 tabs that they will be using for hips.

I agree.
This is done all the time.
The "20 year" shingles are most likely being used as starter and ridge for the "30 year" roof.

Although I would double-check just to make sure.

Old 07-02-05, 02:19 PM
Forget to say this earlier... But i have no idea why people still cut cap shingles when you can buy them.

Although, i used the 50 year hip/ridge capping last weekend for the first time. That 3 layer stuff is entertaining to say the least.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: