green algae around bottom of house

Old 07-06-05, 05:31 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
green algae around bottom of house

hi...around the concrete bottom edge of my house (a raised ranch), there is a band of dark green algae that is growing. It is maybe 1-2 inches thick and does not go below the soil line. Is this something to be worried about in terms of indicating a moisture problem or attracting termites? If so, what can I do about it? If its just cosmetic, is there a product out there that will kill the algae?

some facts:
1. The same color algae grows on one side of my house and on my fence.
2. My yard is very shady
3. The gutters are in need of service as the rainwater drips between them and the fascia...but the concrete edge with algae on it is recessed enough to stay clear of most of this water anyway.

Thoughts?

Old 07-08-05, 12:18 PM
K
i should have said 1-2 inches wide...not thick!

Old 07-08-05, 02:20 PM
Too much moisture, and not enough drainage(slope)/evaporation(sun).

Correct one of the above and it should solve the problem.

I would start with the guttering issue if it is as bad as you make it sound.
Runoff between the fascia and gutter is not good, and will most likely require more than just "service".

If you let wet, rotting, fascia, soffit, go...it can get REAL expensive REAL fast to repair.

Good Luck.

Old 07-11-05, 05:46 AM
K
hi shinstr, yes...i am getting a gutter cover system that will stop the water from dropping between the house and the gutter. it has been this way for a year now...ever since the new roof was put on and the overhang was JUST short of the gutter. from what i can see without taking the gutters off, the fascia seems to still be in decent shape...lets hope so. What do you think...is a year long enough to to some damage to a painted fascia? I live in New England and btw, the water does not collect there...it pretty much falls right through.

Old 07-11-05, 11:09 AM
I would give it the unofficial "poke-test".
Take a small flat head screwdriver and poke the facia up under the bottom of the guttering, in a few areas that you know consistantly get wet.
If it feels solid and the screwdriver dosen't go through...your OK.
If there is some rotting......you'll immediatly know. As the screwdriver will push right through with little force.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: