Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Gambrel Roof - Asphalt Shingles - How Do I Install Ridges?

Old 07-07-05, 06:22 AM
M
mwr
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm re-roofing a gambrel (barn) style roof with asphalt shingles and I'm perplexed how to properly shingle the ridges. I am using a very heavy GAF Grand Canyon asphalt shingle.

Should I drape metal flashing over steeper slope a few inches (nail flashing into plywood on upper level & drape over installed shingles on lower, steeper portion)

Should I fold a shingle "down" from above and nail in? (leaving exposed nail head)

Should I fold a shingle "up" from below and nail into plywood....then start laying shingles on upper gable over this fold?

Will a heavy asphalt shingle like "Grand Canyon" even fold? (much thicker than normal asphalt shingle)

Old 07-07-05, 10:16 AM
It sounds like you are refering to the slope change and not the ridge/peak.

At this detail, you can shingle up to the transition splitting the difference(nails on the upper slope, exposed portion of the shingle on the lower-steeper slope) and just keep on going. A week or so of summer sun and the shingle will lay-down. If not, adhere with quarter size dabs of roofing cement. You may have a short course at the transition to make this work.

Or install a metal flashing at the pitch change (on top of lower section and under upper lesser slope) and then cover with the first course of main shingle at the upper slope so it is not visible. Try not too leave exposed nails anywhere.

Good Luck!

Old 07-08-05, 05:04 AM
M
mwr
Thanks Shinstr
If I use the metal flashing under 1st course of upper level shingles, do I need to "pre-bend" it so it drapes over the lower shingles a couple of inches, or just run it up to the edge without bending?

And how many inches of overhang is "normal" for the upper shingle (entire exposed portion, or just a few inches?)

Last edited by mwr; 07-08-05 at 05:10 AM. Reason: need additional info
Old 07-08-05, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by mwr
Thanks Shinstr
If I use the metal flashing under 1st course of upper level shingles, do I need to "pre-bend" it so it drapes over the lower shingles a couple of inches, or just run it up to the edge without bending?

YEs, Bend to fit transition

And how many inches of overhang is "normal" for the upper shingle (entire exposed portion, or just a few inches?)
Entire exposed area or a little less, just enough to ensure nails are covered by next course, the more overhang the easier it will lay down.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: