Roof leak question

Old 07-09-05, 08:41 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roof leak question

Hi all,

We have noticed a small leak on the ceiling of one of our hallways. Upon looking up in the attic, it seems as though the hose that directs the air from the exhaust fan in the bathroom is right above the leaky spot in the ceiling. Is it possible for water to get in the exhaust fan exit from the roof, and get in the piping and I guess make the piping "sweat?" Hopefully you all will get what I am saying, lol. Thanks for any help.

Old 07-09-05, 10:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,959 Upvotes on 1,756 Posts
Yes, definately. Sometimes bathroom fans will sweat inside the pipe and it will run back down the pipe, creating a leak in the bathroom. Other times, the vent duct will be hung from a nail and vent into the attic, where it will drip on the insulation. Even if it's run to a can vent in the roof, it could be creating condensation that could be dripping onto your drywall. Depending on the type of vent and the way it was installed, it's also possible that the vent itself could be allowing water in when it rains. It just depends. Some investigating in the attic should enable you to see where the problem is. It usually doesn't take a genius to figure out where leaks are originating, once you know the spot to look.

Old 07-13-05, 06:12 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
After years of seeing leaks of all kinds and sizes involving all manner of flashings, tie-ins, abutments, etc...this year, for some mysterious reason, we've run accross a number of leaks from roof vents and bathroom exaust jacks/hoods...all due to faulty crimps in the units themselves. I don't know if this is your problem....but this could account for leaking around or even into the piping.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: